You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Add stroke to Clipping Mask

How do you add a stroke to a clipping mask? E.g., I have a pic. I then draw a square and in the layers panel I offer the square to the thumbnail of the pic layer to make the square a clipping mask. I now want to have a bold stroke on the square. How to do that?

Thx in advance, Joey

Try it the other way around. Offer the pic to the square. The result is the same, but you have more options, such as adding a stroke, (border) to the square.

Once you've done the above, with the square selected in the layers panel, look at the context menu, and you'll see Stroke. Apply the color and thickness to taste.

You can also add an Outline FX.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

3 hours ago, rkdp said:

I offer the square to the thumbnail of the pic layer to make the square a clipping mask. I now want to have a bold stroke on the square. How to do that?

If you want to avoid using an Outline FX (e.g. to avoid rasterized output): If you apply a stroke to the clipping shape only the stroke will increase or reduce the clipping shape, whereas the stroke colour applied to a clipping mask does not matter.

To make the stroke visible around the clipping object you need to apply the stroke to the image. If you additionally apply the stroke to the clipping layer the Align setting influences the stroke appearance in various ways.

In the samples below the stroke width for all is identical, only the Align setting varies for image and clipping rectangle. The image was clipped from its top edge only, note the different blue bounding box positions in relation to the different stroke appearance.

1550684236_strokesettingsimageclippingrectangle.thumb.jpg.44d8471f88e1e8b1bcb90b854a5a57da.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

5 hours ago, rkdp said:

Unfortunately, the way you suggest doesn't allow me to use the square as an adjustable frame to crop the pic.

My apologies, I forgot to mention that you need to Lock Children.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

That is perfect! It is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you very much for mentioning the "lock children" as I would never have known about it - And it made all the difference to make it work like I wanted - It even allows me to adjust the frame! You are magnificent!

Your welcome. That very little thing, catches everyone, me included.

12 hours ago, Ron P. said:

That very little thing, catches everyone, me included.

I know about the Lock Children option but for some (totally illogical, I know!) reason I keep expecting it to appear as an option for a child layer instead of for the parent layer. 😦

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, R C-R said:
16 hours ago, Ron P. said:

That very little thing, catches everyone, me included.

I know about the Lock Children option but for some (totally illogical, I know!) reason I keep expecting it to appear as an option for a child layer instead of for the parent layer. 😦

What seems really irritating to me about "Lock children" is that it is not a setting for selected layer(s) but a document-wide setting that affects all children in the entire document as soon as it is activated for just one of them. Not that I like or dislike this document-wide affect – but the confusing interface: This rather general property makes me even more expect that the option does not show up purely context related in the Context Toolbar only (and, additionally, in its hidden off-space at the right end), but as a permanently listed option in the menu bar, e.g. under Layer -> Lock..., where it, additionally, would allow a shortcut key.

1189005660_layermenuLockchildren.jpg.7acf4d62712292e8ed16f895aee479c5.jpg

8 minutes ago, thomaso said:

What seems really irritating to me about "Lock children" is that it is not a setting for selected layer(s) but a document-wide setting that affects all children in the entire document as soon as it is activated for just one of them.

I think that must be a bug. Has anyone reported it as such?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

I think that must be a bug. Has anyone reported it as such?

I have mentioned this oddities with Lock Children a few times, as far I remember without any relevant moderator response, which made me think it is one of various hard to understand "by design" decisions.

I don't feel this behaviour is a bug. It can be useful if settable with 1 click or shortcut key in a design period of adjusting the clipping for a bunch of image. But it's nasty that we currently need to have an according layer selected first (as you experience with child vs parent layer) to make the option accessible at all.