You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I hope i am posting this in the right forum:  Will there need to be an update to Affinity Photo for editing raw files from the newly announce OM System OM 1 camera?  Will the current raw editor work?  If yes, will it need to optimized at all for the new sensor? 

If it is a new camera, @rmazzi, it is almost certain that an update will be needed.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 month later...

Welcome to the forums @joem120

You can see which cameras are supported here:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/73699-faq-list-of-supported-raw-cameras-110x-for-desktop-lens-correction-list/

If your camera is not on the list then it is not currently supported.

If you want your camera to be supported then you could find an existing feature request for adding support for that camera and ‘add your voice’ to that.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2022 at 5:34 PM, GarryP said:

Welcome to the forums @joem120

You can see which cameras are supported here:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/73699-faq-list-of-supported-raw-cameras-110x-for-desktop-lens-correction-list/

If your camera is not on the list then it is not currently supported.

If you want your camera to be supported then you could find an existing feature request for adding support for that camera and ‘add your voice’ to that.

We need support for the ORF files from this new camera. 

Cheers Rob

• 4 weeks later...

Based on experience from past Camera releases, e.g, Canon CR3 RAW from R, RP, R5, it can take more than one year. If on Apple iPad / Mac, maybe faster if Apple RAW is available sooner.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Why is Affinity so slow in doing this. Are they waiting to see if the camera is popular? Or does it actually take that long to change their parameters within their software (ie a tech is working on this one issue for a whole year)?

16 minutes ago, trclr said:

Why is Affinity so slow in doing this.

Serif uses the open-source LibRAW package as a key part of their RAW image processing, so for most cameras until LibRAW provides support, the Affinity applications can't.

Edit: I see from the LibRAW site that their public snapshot added some OM-1 support 3 months ago. Possibly Serif will pick that up in their next major update.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Serif uses the open-source LibRAW package as a key part of their RAW image processing, so for most cameras until LibRAW provides support, the Affinity applications can't.

Edit: I see from the LibRAW site that their public snapshot added some OM-1 support 3 months ago. Possibly Serif will pick that up in their next major update.

This is the cause of delay. Affinity probably includes LibRAW only at certain times during their own product schedule, and the schedule of LibRAW is completely independent. And bug fixes or Affinity own functional updates may get higher priority. Don't think this will become faster, as it would require more support from Camera vendors, which are mostly the opposite of open minded and try to encrypt their RAW formats (meta data). And fro my perspective, RAW support was never a high priority at Affinity.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

On 6/5/2022 at 3:33 PM, walt.farrell said:

Thank you Walt, your answer helps me most.

Uli

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, AriaDiamond said:

Will also add that I would like to see OM-1 Raw support. Only adding in new camera updates once a year seems a little behind the times. Even On1 supports OM-1 RAW files now. Maybe quarterly updates from the LibRAW would be more appropriate.

And in my opinion it will also be ok, when we have to pay for an update like this. 

15 hours ago, AriaDiamond said:

Maybe quarterly updates from the LibRAW would be more appropriate.

Welcome to the forums @AriaDiamond

Serif have no agency over the LibRaw project - https://www.libraw.org/ .
If you want things in the LibRaw project to ‘go faster’ then I would suggest requesting that of the LibRaw developers that as there’s no much that Serif can do about it.

9 hours ago, GarryP said:

Welcome to the forums @AriaDiamond

Serif have no agency over the LibRaw project - https://www.libraw.org/ .
If you want things in the LibRaw project to ‘go faster’ then I would suggest requesting that of the LibRaw developers that as there’s no much that Serif can do about it.

Sorry if I was not clear. I understand that LibRAW and Serif are not related. I was suggesting that a mini update Jan/Apr/Jul/Oct that picked up the changes from LibRAW (either current or a couple of months delayed) might be beneficial since there is always new equipment out there. It might help them be more competitive. Hope that clarifies.

12 minutes ago, AriaDiamond said:

I was suggesting that a mini update Jan/Apr/Jul/Oct that picked up the changes from LibRAW (either current or a couple of months delayed) might be beneficial since there is always new equipment out there. It might help them be more competitive. Hope that clarifies.

I am pretty sure that that is what Affinity have been doing all along, just not a hard and fast Quarterly Libraw specific update. When there is an update from Libraw it is included in the following Photo update.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

45 minutes ago, AriaDiamond said:

Sorry if I was not clear. I understand that LibRAW and Serif are not related. I was suggesting that a mini update Jan/Apr/Jul/Oct that picked up the changes from LibRAW (either current or a couple of months delayed) might be beneficial since there is always new equipment out there. It might help them be more competitive. Hope that clarifies.

34 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I am pretty sure that that is what Affinity have been doing all along, just not a hard and fast Quarterly Libraw specific update. When there is an update from Libraw it is included in the following Photo update.

This is why I usually never post in forums. I am not trying to crap on Serif, just trying to make a helpful suggestion. But everyone gets defensive and cannot see that someone may be trying to make a product more viable. I have had their software for 4 months now (and the digital stamp says Mar 4 which is pushing 6 months) and have not had an update. That is why I suggested quarterly because I don't think that annually or semi-annually is viable in this market. 

I currently use something else but was looking for a change because I am not completely happy. Last you all will hear from me. I will happily go back to my other software now.

1 hour ago, AriaDiamond said:

I have had their software for 4 months now (and the digital stamp says Mar 4 which is pushing 6 months) and have not had an update. That is why I suggested quarterly because I don't think that annually or semi-annually is viable in this market. 

You have purchased the applications while the company is apparently getting a massive upgrade ready. I assure you that the updates I have been installing happen far more frequently than quarterly.

Just poor timing on your part, not your fault that you bought when everyone at the company is massively busy. Hopefully we will see something soon. (In all honesty I do have to add that you shouldn't hold your breathe while waiting, I am not.)

Check back every couple of months. I do hope your other software serves you well.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 2/21/2022 at 6:56 PM, rmazzi said:

I hope i am posting this in the right forum:  Will there need to be an update to Affinity Photo for editing raw files from the newly announce OM System OM 1 camera?  Will the current raw editor work?  If yes, will it need to optimized at all for the new sensor? 

You should seriously consider using OM Workspace to develop images from that fine camera:

Software Download | OM Workspace | OM Digital Solutions (olympus-imaging.com)

Otherwise you'll completely miss out on all the magic Olympus has created in their JPG images in terms of both appearance and color. If you want to get anywhere near that, you'll have to buy Capture One Pro, which is expensive.

10 Reasons Why Strategic Plans Fail
Having a plan simply for plans sake - Not understanding the environment or focusing on results - Partial commitment - Not having the right people involved - Writing the plan and putting it on the shelf - Unwillingness or inability to change - Having the wrong people in leadership positions - No accountability or follow through - Unrealistic goals or lack of focus and resources.

Get it?

• 4 weeks later...

I've read this entire thread and have to conclude that Affinity have dropped the ball on the OM-1.

Assuming statements made here are correct, and Affinity Photo (AP) does use LibRaw, it is indefensible that OM-1 support is not yet included in AP.

There is obviously always a chance that a camera is released a short time before a new version of a software package is released and thus you have to get the new version of the software to get support for the camera. However, a camera that was announced over 6 months ago and available for at least 5 months should have an update to support it by now. There are no excuses.

5 hours ago, raichea said:

Assuming statements made here are correct, and Affinity Photo (AP) does use LibRaw, it is indefensible that OM-1 support is not yet included in AP.

What do you mean? If Affinity Photo uses LibRaw & LibRaw does not yet support that model, isn't it up to LibRaw to add support for it so AP can as well?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

As an Olympus user of some 40 years standing I've been watching the OM1 camera progress since it was first announced a few years ago.

My attempts to get to hold one of these and try it out at one of the OM systems north UK stockists has proved fruitless.

I'd be interested to hear if anybody has been able to obtain one of these cameras from a European OM agent.

Sorry for the deviation from the main topic which I'm now following with interest.

Peter

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

Which means that when It is released from Beta, Serif can pick it up and incorporate it into the next Affinity release after that,

-- Walt
PC: