You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"At least one file is currently being opened." — Nope! (umm, I think so)

On all 1.10.5 Affinity betas, almost each time when I am closing the file with imported-placed images I get a warning: "At least one file is currently being opened. Please wait for files to load before quitting the application." Nothing is loading as far as I can see. And it never stops. Nothing untoward visible in the Activity monitor.

Is it something others see, too? Or, am I embarassing myself again with a lapse of patience/punctiliousness/common sense/ and so forth...

On mac OS Monterey 12.2.1 and Mac Mini M1.

Alex

Mac Mini M1, mac OS Ventura

Affiñititos, how about a roadmap? (but with v2.1 efforts ... massive, tremendous improvement!)

Thank you @Old Bruce for this workaround. I have done so and will see how it goes.

I cannot find a reference for this behaviour except a case on Windows a few years ago. There, the problem was caused by certain PDF elements and the behaviour was accompanied by high CPU usage. Here this is not the case.

This could still be a bug.

Alex

Mac Mini M1, mac OS Ventura

Affiñititos, how about a roadmap? (but with v2.1 efforts ... massive, tremendous improvement!)

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Hi @Aleksandar Kovač,
It's possible the program was trying to restore a previous file that crashed and somehow become corrupted and wasn't able to fully load it again. If you quit the app, press and hold CTRL and launch the app again until a  Clear User Data dialog appears you have there an option to "Don't Restore Window and Documents". Keep that option ticked only and press Clear. The app should no longer try to load whatever file was failing after this process. You can then keep the setting in Preferences to reopen files - Reopen Document(s) on startup - active.

• 1 year later...

I keep having the same problem, too. It seems like it may be one particular file. It's with my Resume-porfolio Publisher doc.

I thought the problems had disappeared after the last time I recreated it all over again..
But here I am stuck with the number "Loading 1 document" stuck in there.. but no file ever shows up.. It's so galling. 
I thought it had something to do with iCloud.. ie Publisher was trying to open a file which iCloud had not yet fully synched down from the mothership...

This 2023 one is bad:
drew_harper_resume_portfolio_2023.afpub

This is the old 2020 one which is openable... which i remade to be the 2023 version
drew_harper_resume_portfolio_2020.afpub

The PDF outputted version can be found at my portfolio site here:
https://drewharper.com/

Must I recreate the same thing all over againa.. again?? Only to have the same bug reappear later? Help? 

drew_harper_resume_portfolio_2020.afpub

4 hours ago, DrewHarper said:

This 2023 one is bad:

Both versions open OK for me

I just get a message about "missing fonts" which is to be expected as I don't have the same fonts as you on my PC

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

10 minutes ago, DrewHarper said:

Really?! Could you resave the 2023 version for me and put it back here?

Sure

drew_harper_resume_portfolio_2023-resaved.afpub

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thank you! I opened it up! Wow! My old file was visible! Yippee... Save... 

Stuck on stupid... It never goes past this... 
image.thumb.png.0d65974f4949a5b23a6a6a98fbcaa9f4.png

I force-quite, re-opened it.. moved a few things around... edited some text.. tried to re-save.. same result... it just hangs there forever.

I love Affinity, I want to keep using it.. but what to do? What is wrong? What could possibly be so broken? My other files seem to be ok.. Should I reinstall the entire app??

Thank you.
image.png.14dcc7fc7f5460bc2fa0c62a191d081f.png

See if this version allows you to save it...

drew_harper_resume.afpub

Ok! I took your saved 'good' file, opened it... and then made a New file with the same specs.. and manually copied and pasted the images one page at a time, from one file to the other file; and that finally worked. Woohoo.

The page with the problem was the second page. Every time I trie to copy/paste that image inside to my new file. it crashed. But ONLY with the second page image. All of the other pages graphics copy/pasted just fine.

So I went and found the source file for the one 'bad' image, put it in afresh, and bob's your uncle. I had to be careful not o accidentally save on the dodgy file... Or it would crash and I'd lose my progress on both... 

Got there in the end, thank you for your help :)