You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

On 6/10/2022 at 4:16 AM, TumbaP said:

Affinity Photo 1.10.5 has been working perfectly for weeks - but today I've now got the spinning beachball during use of every tool. I've not changed any settings or upgraded any software - I'd not even rebooted the laptop - all I did was close Affinity and re-open it!  I also get the problem after opening a photo before I start doing anything with it.

It is also doing it with sessions which previously worked OK - so can't blame the image I've opened.

This is extremely frustrating - has anyone come up with a working solution?

New user to all of the Affinity products and Forum so apologies if I'm not responding appropriately to this question.

I have a first batch (arrived the first day it was available - yes, I'm one of those!) 14" M1 MacBook Pro with 16 gb memory. No issues other than not knowing how to use the program. This morning I wanted to try to work with a photo in Affinity Photo. Everything I did brought up the spinning beachball. Before ANY action. As an old geek and QA person I began to sort through changes since my last program use. Updates to all the Creative Cloud programs. this week. Update to Google Chrome.

I researched here and saw the suggestion to turn off Hardware Acceleration in Affinity Photo. It's under Preferences > Performance > Metal. Reboot. ISSUE RESOLVED. 

Hopefully this may help some other frustrated person. Curious as to what is going on here.

• 3 months later...

I came here because my wife and I recently switched to a new iMac M1 running Monterey; my wife came from a 17in MBP (mid 2009), I myself from a 27in iMac (late 2012). We both experience beachballing on our individual iMacs, but after switching off hardware acceleration (an Affinity Photo preference) as suggested above, and switching off automatic brightness adjustment (a Mac system pref) as suggested in the video, all is well. I did not try either solution separately.

CANON cameras (7D, G9), lenses ranging from 10 to 400mm, and Speedlite 580EX II - iMac (24", M1, 2021) running Ventura MacOS 13.4.1(c)

2 hours ago, LesC said:

I came here because my wife and I recently switched to a new iMac M1 running Monterey; my wife came from a 17in MBP (mid 2009), I myself from a 27in iMac (late 2012). We both experience beachballing on our individual iMacs, but after switching off hardware acceleration (an Affinity Photo preference) as suggested above, and switching off automatic brightness adjustment (a Mac system pref) as suggested in the video, all is well. I did not try either solution separately.

Now that you have it working, try turning hardware acceleration back on. I have hardware acceleration on but automatic brightness off.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

@MikeTO  same here.  It is the automatic brightness setting in the OS systems preferences that seems to cause the problem.  I hope your comment will help @LesC.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

On 10/8/2022 at 5:00 PM, MikeTO said:

Now that you have it working, try turning hardware acceleration back on. I have hardware acceleration on but automatic brightness off.

I'll do as you suggested (switch hardware acceleration back on), and let you know whether the beachballs return or not. It would be a pity, now that I have a faster iMac, not to make use of hardware acceleration. Whatever it does, the name suggests some speed increase. :)

CANON cameras (7D, G9), lenses ranging from 10 to 400mm, and Speedlite 580EX II - iMac (24", M1, 2021) running Ventura MacOS 13.4.1(c)

• 2 weeks later...

Meanwhile, on both of our computers, hardware acceleration has been switched on for more than a week, whilst automatic brightness has remained off.
Result: no more beachballing on both our iMacs.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve used macs since 1986 and can’t understand why my nice new shiny M1 imac can’t cope with Publisher. I’ve tried everything members suggest; tinkering with brightness settings etc and still, the very moment I do anything, replace image, select text box, select image, the very unwelcome beach ball. I’ve had to revert to my old iMac which reduces the number of things I can do with publisher. I really like the app but finding it now totally unusable on the M1 so I ask myself do I need the worry of it? I know others are having a grand time with it. Must I go back to overpriced Adobe or desperate Quark?  Can other factors play such a big role? I’m absolutely baffled and depressed that nobody has a positive answer to it. HELP!!!! PS when I replace image it always appears upside down. Nearly forgot to mention that… Robin Ray

8B79E710-31C9-4957-A8E4-403ECB68072D.jpeg

1 hour ago, Robin gotha said:

I’ve used macs since 1986 and can’t understand why my nice new shiny M1 imac can’t cope with Publisher. I’ve tried everything members suggest; tinkering with brightness settings etc and still, the very moment I do anything, replace image, select text box, select image, the very unwelcome beach ball. I’ve had to revert to my old iMac which reduces the number of things I can do with publisher. I really like the app but finding it now totally unusable on the M1 so I ask myself do I need the worry of it? I know others are having a grand time with it. Must I go back to overpriced Adobe or desperate Quark?  Can other factors play such a big role? I’m absolutely baffled and depressed that nobody has a positive answer to it. HELP!!!! PS when I replace image it always appears upside down. Nearly forgot to mention that… Robin Ray

If your problem is like the rest of us, you need to disable Automatically Adjust Brightness in Preferences/Settings > Display. This setting causes the spinning beachball to appear constantly when using Affinity.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)