You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am getting the same problem with my new M1 MacBook Pro. Sometimes Affinity Photo (1.10.4) runs fine for a while but then becomes almost unusable with every action, causing the spinning beach ball to appear. 
I'm only working on small files, with a handful of layers, and usually have only Affinity Photo open and running. I have even recently wiped and then clean installed everything on my MackBook Pro (which is only a few weeks old) ... same issue sadly (every other app seems fine by the way).

Edited by SteveJC
typo

I'm not seeing that here.

The only apps I have problems with on my M1 Pro are Apple Preview and Apple Notes, both of which I can lock up for up to a minute. I imagine Apple would consider my use of these apps to be edge cases but they really weren't designed for scale. I've reported the issues to Apple.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2022 at 10:45 AM, SteveJC said:

I am getting the same problem with my new M1 MacBook Pro. Sometimes Affinity Photo (1.10.4) runs fine for a while but then becomes almost unusable with every action, causing the spinning beach ball to appear. 
I'm only working on small files, with a handful of layers, and usually have only Affinity Photo open and running. I have even recently wiped and then clean installed everything on my MackBook Pro (which is only a few weeks old) ... same issue sadly (every other app seems fine by the way).

Since the recent update to Affinity Photo (1.10.5) I have not been getting the spinning beachball, despite it being a common occurrence with the previous version on my M1 MacBook Pro. I've only been using this version for a day, but looking good so far. Thanks team.

21 minutes ago, vanjan said:

How do I log into the beta version if I don't have a licence key. I purchased Affinity Photo from the Mac Appstore and I don't have a licence number.

The way things work is that if the beta is the same version (1.10.5 old beta) as the retail (1.1.0.5 current version) then the beta won't work. the beta needs an older version to be present in order for it to work. 

As far as I can see there is no advantage to having the beta once you have upgraded.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

20 minutes ago, vanjan said:

How do I log into the beta version if I don't have a licence key. I purchased Affinity Photo from the Mac Appstore and I don't have a licence number.

Actually the Affinity Photo release version on the Mac Appstore has been updated, so that's momentary the most actual version yet and there isn't any newer beta available so far. - Just update from the Mac AppStore in case you didn't so.

new_version.jpeg.df78c5ea3750c7205877183f119fdb3d.jpeg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, vanjan said:

Oh dear - so I wonder if i'll ever be able to use Affinity Photo again!!

Assuming you have the 1.10.5 Mac retail version installed, what specifically is preventing you from using it? Also, what kind of Mac are you using (Intel or Apple Silicon)?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

48 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Assuming you have the 1.10.5 Mac retail version installed, what specifically is preventing you from using it? Also, what kind of Mac are you using (Intel or Apple Silicon)?

I have Macbook Pro M1 so I guess its Apple Silicon. I am trying to do some in-painting and I get the spinning beachball all the time.

31 minutes ago, vanjan said:

I have Macbook Pro M1 so I guess its Apple Silicon. I am trying to do some in-painting and I get the spinning beachball all the time.

Have you tried disabling hardware acceleration?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

i experience the same, spinning beach ball all the time, and inpainting brush tool not working.

macbook pro with M1, and i just updated to the latest version.

it's not really fun to work with it. anything i can do, or do i have to wait for the next update?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can you check if the spinning beach ball only appears if you are on battery ? I worked for the first time in my M1 now on battery and get annoyed by the spinning beach ball all time. Once back on power, everything is fine. 

Can you confirm that ?

Best,

Peter

----maybe that's not the reason, it now behaves awkward with power supply -----

Edited by Baeda

• 2 weeks later...

I've also on a MacbookPro M1 Max running latest Monterey OS 12.3.1.

Affinity Photo 1.10.5 has been working perfectly for weeks - but today I've now got the spinning beachball during use of every tool. I've not changed any settings or upgraded any software - I'd not even rebooted the laptop - all I did was close Affinity and re-open it!  I also get the problem after opening a photo before I start doing anything with it.

It is also doing it with sessions which previously worked OK - so can't blame the image I've opened.

This is extremely frustrating - has anyone come up with a working solution?

You can try out the following here (see below thread post reference)  for M1 & Monterey, maybe it helps in your case too ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

23 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

I opened APub and APhoto and did a couple of minutes playing and saw no beach balls. Also, opening the apps themselves was quick.

But you didn't looked after possibly applied OS prefs settings for those demo machines, or?

42 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

No. I just picked the first available machine.

OK then you can't say if the Affinity apps behave right out of the box fine as default on those without any applied system prefs or Affinity prefs changes, or if some prefs settings may have been applied there from the App Store stuff so they behaved smooth.

2 hours ago, v_kyr said:

if some prefs settings may have been applied there from the App Store stuff

We're talking an Apple Store here, with Apple Geniuses. Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.

I only commented on this for a couple of reasons:

1. The Affinity Apps were installed, for all to see. They were in a folder called something like 'Great Apps' along with some other apps.
  2. My immediate experience was no beach balls.

On my own iMac on Intel, I very rarely see beach balls. I saw far more beach balls on a recent installation of MS Word, which caused me to uninstall it.

That video is interesting - I can trigger the issue on demand in Photo by covering up the camera and then clicking around the menu bar. I cannot trigger the issue on demand by doing the same thing in Publisher. That makes me think there's more than one reason for the persistent beachball issue on some M1 systems.

So the next time this happens to me in Publisher I'll try what he suggested and turn off Automatically Adjust Brightness in system prefs and see if that makes a different.

Thanks.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)