You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mirror curves as you make them?

Which Affinity app are you using?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

There are a lot of features that are the same so they lump all apps in one main forum, you can add tags to the post to indicate which app you are referring to, mention it in the post or add such details to your sig, under your account, this gets posted each time you post.

The way to mirror in Affinity Designer is to create a symbol, grab another symbol out onto the workspace and flip one of them.

https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/SymbolsAssets/symbols.html

image.png.dcea8d1f4200b76616062f58f1e1af6c.png

Mirror using symbols.afdesign

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

You don't need to use symbols. You can group, then duplicate the group and then mirror.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

54 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

There are a lot of features that are the same so they lump all apps in one main forum, you can add tags to the post to indicate which app you are referring to, mention it in the post or add such details to your sig, under your account, this gets posted each time you post.

The way to mirror in Affinity Designer is to create a symbol, grab another symbol out onto the workspace and flip one of them.

https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/SymbolsAssets/symbols.html

image.png.dcea8d1f4200b76616062f58f1e1af6c.png

Mirror using symbols.afdesign

I did watch a video on doing it this way last night. Thank you, i will add 'designer' to the topic from now on too.

52 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

You don't need to use symbols. You can group, then duplicate the group and then mirror.

Hmm, will have to think about this one, i think its the longhand method.   Although i think i was thinking i would flip it horizontal of vertical depending which way i wanted to mirror it. Thank you. 

both ways are long hand, lol.  I thought designer had mirror, I thought i watched a video for that before purchase, and said to self 'yes'.  interesting.  Again, thank you very much for your help.

1 minute ago, ahnay said:

I thought designer had mirror, I thought i watched a video for that before purchase, and said to self 'yes'.  interesting. 

Photo has symmetry for the brushes, it is not a mirror though.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I completely misunderstood. That is a good method, I will now go kick myself for not thinking of this myself. [smiley face emoticon]

@ahnaySymbols are the only practical way to do non-destructive vector symmetry in Designer that updates live as you go along. Though, the ultimate method is only achievable by owning all three programs while working in Publisher. There you have easy access to Linked Layers, a Photo feature which is basically Symbols but with more custom options, and they work with Compound Layers for non-destructive booleans, unlike Symbols. Here's a brief tutorial I made showing the power of Linked Layers:

If you ask me, this feature should frankly be a Designer feature as well. It is insanely powerful and is a lot better than the Illustrator method, especially since it can be combined with Symbols, Groups, Compound Layers, etc. to create very complex patterns and be completely non-destructive.

22 minutes ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

@ahnaySymbols are the only practical way to do non-destructive vector symmetry in Designer that updates live as you go along. Though, the ultimate method is only achievable by owning all three programs while working in Publisher. There you have easy access to Linked Layers, a Photo feature which is basically Symbols but with more custom options, and they work with Compound Layers for non-destructive booleans, unlike Symbols. Here's a brief tutorial I made showing the power of Linked Layers:

If you ask me, this feature should frankly be a Designer feature as well. It is insanely powerful and is a lot better than the Illustrator method, especially since it can be combined with Symbols, Groups, Compound Layers, etc. to create very complex patterns and be completely non-destructive.

Thank you ill have to watch it closer on youtube.  It seams you are mirroring it after you first draw it.  In other software, it just mirrors as you go, automatically.  Cant think of the name of it now.  Hmm.  I dont rem if inkscape does it.  anyway, this should be in designer.  Its called DESIGNER lol. 

3 minutes ago, ahnay said:

Cant think of the name of it now

Symmetry

26 minutes ago, ahnay said:

Thank you ill have to watch it closer on youtube.  It seams you are mirroring it after you first draw it.  In other software, it just mirrors as you go, automatically.  Cant think of the name of it now.  Hmm.  I dont rem if inkscape does it.  anyway, this should be in designer.  Its called DESIGNER lol. 

You're welcome! :)

To be fair, the feature is pretty new to Affinity. Only came out last year with 1.9. I really hope they port it over to Designer in the next version, though. Feels weird needing to switch to the Photo Persona to use Duplicate Linked every time you need it.

Anyway, here's a file I threw together quickly just using Symbols to play around with. You can do a lot of symmetry work in Designer and you don't need to work from the middle of the canvas to achieve it like in Illustrator, which to be honest has a lot of overly complicated steps to do live symmetry.

Symbols Symmetry.afpub

image.png.907d7afa39d5be86d5e1a5d71504f702.png

@Frozen Death Knight  

Thank you. I havent used illustrator for years and years, dont even have it on this machine.  I used to use it, and photoshop, and another one, i really liked, hmm, cant rem, oh and i had the ones from serif too, lol. cant rem what they were called.  I went off in a different life direction, for many years, and now back to the graphics manipulation realm.  I remember one software that only did titles, or words? Man i loved that one, it was so fast and easy to create with.  I think it was the first one to vanish off the face of the earth. lol.  Its like the styles in design. 

4 minutes ago, ahnay said:

i had the ones from serif too, lol. cant rem what they were called

DrawPlus (like Designer, a hybrid vector/bitmap editor) and PhotoPlus (like Photo, essentially a bitmap image editor).

7 minutes ago, ahnay said:

I remember one software that only did titles, or words?

LogoPlus, or do you mean something from another software house?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

DrawPlus (like Designer, a hybrid vector/bitmap editor) and PhotoPlus (like Photo, essentially a bitmap image editor).

LogoPlus, or do you mean something from another software house?

lol yes drawplus, thank you.  Yes it was a different manufacturer.   I still have the draw software and all the extras for it, on my old machine, which is dead, er on its hard drive, which is not dead, just in storage. lol.   I tried to put it on this machine but couldnt download it anymore, and the disks werent working, iirc. 

2 hours ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

If you have all 3 products installed, it should simply work as a suite.  It should allow you to combine any views from any product.  The products already support the same capabilities, you just don't have access to the views or tools.  This would make the suite so much more powerful.

3 minutes ago, CM0 said:

If you have all 3 products installed, it should simply work as a suite.  It should allow you to combine any views from any product.  The products already support the same capabilities, you just don't have access to the views or tools.  This would make the suite so much more powerful.

Agreed, although I dont have all three products. why would i buy the other two?  I dont publish, and i dont retouch photos, I do design.  This is supposed to be professional software but its lacking every which way i look.  And some of the needed commands are in design, but not in design desktop, lol  Thats just crazy.  I mean desktop was here before digital phones, or ipads, lol. Yeah.  lol.  Its advertised inappropriately imho.

42 minutes ago, ahnay said:

lol yes drawplus, thank you.  Yes it was a different manufacturer.   I still have the draw software and all the extras for it, on my old machine, which is dead, er on its hard drive, which is not dead, just in storage. lol.   I tried to put it on this machine but couldnt download it anymore, and the disks werent working, iirc. 

I had Xara 3D Maker back in the day: quite a lot of fun for making animated 3D text. I probably still have it somewhere.

As for DrawPlus, is it a very old version? If it’s X8 or X6 you can download it from here while CommunityPlus is still extant. For older versions, or for X8 and X6 after CommunityPlus closes in a little over four months, you will need to find someone who can share a copy of the installer (and you’ll need your own product key, of course).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

11 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I had Xara 3D Maker back in the day: quite a lot of fun for making animated 3D text. I probably still have it somewhere.

As for DrawPlus, is it a very old version? If it’s X8 or X6 you can download it from here while CommunityPlus is still extant. For older versions, or for X8 and X6 after CommunityPlus closes in a little over four months, you will need to find someone who can share a copy of the installer (and you’ll need your own product key, of course).

Xara!  lol i loved how easy that was to use, wow, what a memory you have. Thank you for the downloads, i wonder where i can find my key, lol hmmm I used to have a file someplace, or the email? oh man im sure its long gone too. hmm  thank you 😃

6 minutes ago, ahnay said:

Xara!  lol i loved how easy that was to use, wow, what a memory you have. Thank you for the downloads, i wonder where i can find my key, lol hmmm I used to have a file someplace, or the email? oh man im sure its long gone too. hmm  thank you 😃

You can still download it: https://www.xara.com/uk/downloads/xara3d/

@Alfred oh it sent me the keys for movieplus and craftartist, lol. i still use movieplus, dont remember cratartist 2 pro at all, didnt send the key for the others and the extras.  hmmm...   I clicked on the link to download them but it gives the new affinity.  I have the download for movieplus copied in a couple places, but not the others.  Thank for that info.