You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo - Reduce image size options

Hi All,

I'm new to AP and photography. I want to reduce images taken from my camera (6000x4000) to 2100x1500 so I can print them at 7x5. There are two ways to do this as far as I can tell:

1) Resize Document and select desired Units, with 'Resample' ticked (Bilinear).

2) Create a new document at desired resolution, insert larger image, and use the Move Tool handles to reduce the image so it fits the canvas.

Option 2 seems quicker when resizing lots of images, but does it work the same way as option 1? When you move the handles to reduce the image, is AP automatically resampling using the same method as option 1 as the image is being reduced? Is one way better than the other?

Thanks.

Hi,

It seems that scaling with Move Tool handles, uses bilinear resampling. 

To process multiple files you can use Batch Job (File > New Batch Job).

https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/pages/Macros_Batch/batchjobs.html

If you want to print a 6000 * 4000 pixel file (as provided by your 24 MP camera) at a 7*5 size, you don't have to 'resize' (downscale or upscale) your image file.

However, you should 'convert' your native file (with a 3 by 2 form factor) into a document with a (custom) 7 by 5 aspect ratio. You achieve this conversion by using the 'crop' tool. This way you keep full control about which part of the image will be 'dropped' when translating between both aspect ratios. The crop tool will convert your original 6000 * 4000 pixels into a (at maximum) 5600 * 4000 pixel document. The crop tool maintains all information that is available in the original file, the tool is also non-destructive.

The 'reduction' of the number of pixels is not necessary for print purposes. The 'resizing' towards a particular physical output size is, in general, better handled by the print command. The print driver of your particular printer will take care of this (by using all the data available in the original file, and by adjusting the dpi).

The resizing of an image (through a reduced number of pixels) is mainly relevant for e.g. web publishing where smaller file sizes may (still) be more important.

Windows 10 Pro - 21H1 | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X - 12 core - 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 - 3.6 GHz RAM | Nvidia RTX 3060 - 12GB VRAM | 2TB SSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Wacom Intuos 4M

Full Affinity Suite (Photo, Designer & Publisher): all version 1.10.5.1342 with HW acceleration ON, Nvidia Studio drivers up-to-date (511.65)

Capture One for Sony v.22 (build 15.1.1.2) | Nik Collection (DXO version 4.3.3) | Topaz AI (Denoise 3.6.1, Sharpen 4.1.0 & Gigapixel 5.8.0)

On 2/19/2022 at 12:34 AM, Baz101 said:

Hi All,

I'm new to AP and photography. I want to reduce images taken from my camera (6000x4000) to 2100x1500 so I can print them at 7x5. There are two ways to do this as far as I can tell:

1) Resize Document and select desired Units, with 'Resample' ticked (Bilinear).

2) Create a new document at desired resolution, insert larger image, and use the Move Tool handles to reduce the image so it fits the canvas.

Resizing from 6000x4000 to 2100x1500 changes the aspect ratio (distorts the image)

Option 1 and 2 above will maintain that distortion

You need to crop the image to a 7x5 ratio first then resize to 2100x1500

Setting the crop to a 7x5 ratio will, by default, discard (crop out) an equal amount of pixels on the left and right sides of the image. If you are happy with that then both the cropping and resizing of the image can be done in a macro, which could then be used in a batch job to process multiple images, at the same time, if so desired.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.