You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Life after 1.4?

Thanks Andy

I wondered if you folks would be taking a well-earned break over the festive season.  Anyways, all best wishes to all of you and here's to an exciting 2016!

Regards

Bill

Retina iMac (4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) OS X 10.11.6  Capture One 10.

Andy congrats again for the 1.4 release. Some HUGE improvements were brought to both apps, and Affinity feels more and more polished from a feature set perspective. I hope now that many of the pressing features have been addressed, focus is brought to the UI issues that have been expressed numerous times since v1.0. Both apps still have issues when using the Large Font size Preference; there are places where the labels get cropped off, making the app appear unpolished. This seems to happen from not having enough vertical space in the text labels. For example, notice the defenders on the letters p and y in the Opacity label in the Swatches studio panel...

post-1105-0-34508700-1449768810_thumb.png

Same with elements in the UI which aren't centered/aligned, for example the Layer Effects panel. If you notice the effect's name (Gaussian Blur, etc) and it's check box are not aligned. Also, the brightness of the labels seems to be different in the panels. And the treatment of the different rows (alternating colors) is not carried throughout the interface. Also, why do the Layer Effects names take up more vertical space in the studio panel list (where space is arguably tighter), but they take up less space in the stand-alone window? 

post-1105-0-64026500-1449769501_thumb.png

There is also room for improvement in the UI as far as making it more space efficient on laptops. Many of the panels are simply too large and not laid out in an efficient manner for smaller laptop screens. This slows the workflow as users have to regularly rearrange the UI windows to have both art and UI on screen at the same time.

Excellent job again, and congrats on the MAS recognition!

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Yep, we'll get to that as soon as we've decided what to put on there!!

For Photo, I'm thinking of adding RGB32 full-floating point documents (OpenEXR, etc.), along with something to do with HDR.. and maybe some other stuff..

We'll let you know!

Andy.

Finally OpenEXR and stuff :D

And yes the UI could use some improvements. Like less useless space in panels and dock to columns of panels like you can in AI/PS.

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

Guys … you should really take your time to celebrate …  :D

But as you know, users are insatiable … give them an inch and they will always take a yard … so when I second Ronny’s requests, I am well aware that this might look like typical user behavior. But I would also suggest to address some of those seemingly minor issues that prove somewhat cumbersome in the daily use of your apps. Most of them have been brought up in the past already:

• Please add dividers to the Blend Mode and Adjustment Layer menus and group them in a logical fashion. And please order all these menus consistently.
  • Please change the icons for the Node Tool Actions according to a suggestion of MEB long time ago. That’s a point where I always have to look twice, and the suggested icons are far more readable.
  • Please add sticky settings, particularly for the Crop Tool.
  • Please populate the context tool bar of the Perspective Tool, thereby rendering the interface of the Mesh Warp Tool and the Perspective Tool consistent.
  • Though it is great that we have Character and Paragraph Panels now, these panels are hard to use for extended periods of time, particularly on non-retina devices and with eyes like mine. I noticed that I always have to look twice, when I am adjusting text parameters. The icons are quite small, and above all, it is not immediately clear, where the panels start and where they end, since the bars that act as dividers within those panels have almost the same colour as the backgrounds of the tab bars (see below). I would suggest to clear the situation here.
  • Allow Option + Drag actions in the layers list for duplicating layers.
  • Allow the selection of multiple nested Adjustment Layers, without selecting the parent layer. (Or should there be a way to achieve this?)
  • Allow constraining brush movements by holding down Shift.
  • Please add smart thumbnail caching to the Media Browser.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how complicated it would be to make the relevant changes, but I am sure, all this would improve the user experience considerably …  :)

But once again, you should indeed start the weekend one day earlier …  :)

Thanks, Alex

post-1198-0-63125900-1449781642_thumb.png

But once again, you should indeed start the weekend one day earlier …  :)

Thanks, Alex

After this nice list I´ll add my wish list here as well, I´ll keep it update over the next months and trying to keep the important things together (from my perspective)

- wishlist is not literally meant as if I´d expect any of those till christmas :)

EDIT:

V15 attachment 18.11.2016

Wishlist for Santa V15.pdf

Andy,

Interesting you mentioned HDR. Right next to the Affinity listing on Apple App is Aurora. I feel sure you must have looked at it. It is so simply to use as a stand alone and you two would fit like butter and bread. We all know that HDR requires multiple shots of one subject at different exposure settings. Should use a tripod, etc. The right shot just happens, tripod or not. One of the reasons to shoot in RAW is the ability to change elemental settings such as exposure, +1,-2,-1,-2 and save as such. This takes a bit of trial and error in Affinity but it works. One shot at a time. Export one at a time.

But what if, shoot in RAW, get your image, process in Develop to fix as best as possible, go on to Persona and finalize. Then go to Export and choose HRD which would change necessary exposure settings for HDR. Then export to your Aurora plug-in with three or five shots ready to process. No tripod needed! One good RAW shot altered as required to process in HDR!

Just a dream.

Great idea Tom Nequette! I supposed Affinity Photo could also generate and process the HDR on its own using only one RAW image and internally generating different exposures by adjusting the raw file's exposure setting... interesting...

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• Staff

Tom,

I've looked at Aurora - it's a nice app..

We feel that HDR is most useful when coupled with an unbounded, floating point RGB32 editing environment - that's why the two features will go hand in hand..

Your suggestion regarding RAW is something which I would expect our implementation to be able to do..

Thanks,

Andy.

Yep, we'll get to that as soon as we've decided what to put on there!!

For Photo, I'm thinking of adding RGB32 full-floating point documents (OpenEXR, etc.), along with something to do with HDR.. and maybe some other stuff..

We'll let you know!

Andy.

This would be incredibly useful for those who work in architectural visualizations.

And since we are talking about Crop Tool options … would it be possible to have simple checkbox option on the context tool bar that would allow us to dim or shade the areas outside of the crop rectangle? This is usually very useful for assessing a composition …  :)

Thanks for consideration,

Alex

You guys rock!  :) 

I had hoped to be more involved on these forums than I have but haven't had the time unfortunately. I think I speak on behalf of most here when I say thanks for having (and continuing)  such an open and responsive dialogue with customers. It makes a big difference compared to those of which we cannot name... 1.4 is really great and the fact that you mentioned raw HDR makes me really excited as that is literally the only thing I felt was missing so far. So far my workflow has been Capture One -> Affinity which is a bit clunky as I have to save flattened to send back to C1. If I could move more over to Affinity it would be great. Also thanks for implementing the ''double click to open'' feature. It may seem small but every few seconds counts when your dealing with a large volume!

Happy Holidays!

Andy congrats again for the 1.4 release. Some HUGE improvements were brought to both apps, and Affinity feels more and more polished from a feature set perspective. I hope now that many of the pressing features have been addressed, focus is brought to the UI issues that have been expressed numerous times since v1.0. Both apps still have issues when using the Large Font size Preference; there are places where the labels get cropped off, making the app appear unpolished. This seems to happen from not having enough vertical space in the text labels. For example, notice the defenders on the letters p and y in the Opacity label in the Swatches studio panel...

Excellent job again, and congrats on the MAS recognition!

Yes, I too am impressed w. the UI improvements, especially the LARGE type option in preferences -- a real vision-saver on high rez screens. I can see from the problems that have popped up relative to this new feature that it is a very complex improvement to implement.

I am so appreciative of all the hard work you guys have done that I am finally buying the app and making the transition over from Photoshop CS6. I am also impressed by developer response to user suggestions. I am confident that AP will continue to improve, as compared to Photoshop which continues to become far too bloated for straight photo editing and compositing. Thanks again.

• MacBook Pro 15 Retina, i7 Quad Core, 1TB NVME SSD, 16GB, NVIDIA, macOS 10.13.6, Wacom Cintiq
  • Mac Mini, i5, 16GB, 500GB SSD's (2), macOS 10.11.6
  • Custom PC, MSI ACE Motherboard, Intel 4.1GHz, 64GB, NVIDIA, PCIe M.2 NVME SSD's (3), XP-PEN Artist 22E Tablet Monitor

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.