You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Floral Mandala

VectorVonDoom

6 hours ago, VectorVonDoom said:

Thanks. I did most of the elements separately then tried to make something out of them. Not the best but not absolutely dreadful either.

It is a very long way from being dreadful, I don't think you can even see blah or mediocre from where you are.  I quite like them.  I've been wanting to make mandalas in animal shapes.  Do you have pointers (I have 3 days left on my trial to try and learn the program before I make decisions about it) on turning single elements into multiple ones evenly spaced?  I made a Celtic knot and a snowflake of Dachshunds for my friend to laser into ornaments this Christmas but I did it in photoshop getting down to the pixel level and it was a major pain.

4 minutes ago, EclecticArt said:

(I have 3 days left on my trial to try and learn the program before I make decisions about it)

If you purchase the app from the Affinity Store (rather than the Mac App Store or the Microsoft Store) your purchase will be covered by a ‘no quibble’ 14-day money back guarantee, effectively extending your 10-day trial to 24 days.

https://store.serif.com/help/#returns

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

11 minutes ago, EclecticArt said:

turning single elements into multiple ones evenly spaced

If you duplicate an object (Cmd+J on Mac or Ctrl+J on Windows) and then move or rotate the duplicate, further duplications will invoke the ‘Power Duplicate’ feature as long as you don’t deselect the object. This will result in the same transformation being applied each time, so you’ll get evenly spaced duplicates (in a line or following an arc, depending on the position of the centre of rotation).

Alfred spacer.png

36 minutes ago, Alfred said:

If you purchase the app from the Affinity Store (rather than the Mac App Store or the Microsoft Store) your purchase will be covered by a ‘no quibble’ 14-day money back guarantee, effectively extending your 10-day trial to 24 days.

Careful though. I have not read all the thread. Just wondering if a Windows 10 S system is in use!

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

23 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Just wondering if a Windows 10 S system is in use!

Is a trial available from the Microsoft Store? :/

Alfred spacer.png

58 minutes ago, EclecticArt said:

It is a very long way from being dreadful, I don't think you can even see blah or mediocre from where you are.  I quite like them.  I've been wanting to make mandalas in animal shapes.  Do you have pointers (I have 3 days left on my trial to try and learn the program before I make decisions about it) on turning single elements into multiple ones evenly spaced?  I made a Celtic knot and a snowflake of Dachshunds for my friend to laser into ornaments this Christmas but I did it in photoshop getting down to the pixel level and it was a major pain.

I used the mirroring feature for most of it, for the few bits I didn’t want mirrored, for example the the flower in the centre I placed that up top. A couple of bits I manually rotated. I’ll upload a file tomorrow. There are some youtube vids on the mirroring feature and mandalas too.  It turned to be trickier than a normal patterned mandala, not sure if animals would be more of less difficult. 

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Ooh, good to know!  I've been trying to do as much as I can within the short amount of time I've got.  I'm starting to really like it but I don't know that I will be able to ditch  photoshop just yet. 

51 minutes ago, VectorVonDoom said:

I used the mirroring feature for most of it, for the few bits I didn’t want mirrored, for example the the flower in the centre I placed that up top. A couple of bits I manually rotated. I’ll upload a file tomorrow. There are some youtube vids on the mirroring feature and mandalas too.  It turned to be trickier than a normal patterned mandala, not sure if animals would be more of less difficult. 

Thank you so much.  I hope to see more of your mandalas.  I think they would make a gorgeous colouring book.

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

If you duplicate an object (Cmd+J on Mac or Ctrl+J on Windows) and then move or rotate the duplicate, further duplications will invoke the ‘Power Duplicate’ feature as long as you don’t deselect the object. This will result in the same transformation being applied each time, so you’ll get evenly spaced duplicates (in a line or following an arc, depending on the position of the centre of rotation).

Great, thank you!  I'm going to try it out now.

8 hours ago, Alfred said:

Is a trial available from the Microsoft Store? :/

I don't know.

If not, then maybe my post was not relevant.

But what if someone has two computers, one Windows 10, the other Windows 10 S ?

That may be me grasping at straws to try to justify my post, but I think it would be best to explain the situation.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.