You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Character style with gradient does not work, it's always a solid color

Hi,

I made a character style: "My Gradient Text Style"

When editing it by double click > Character > Color & Decorations > Text fill > Gradient... It never applies it. No matter what, it's just a solid color.

The only thing that will apply a gradient is if I select the text and use the fill tool on it. But that defeats the purpose.

Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong? I've also noticed this same problem in Affinity Designer.

gradient text style not working.afpub

Similar to:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for the reply, but I already read and tried all that before posting this, and nothing there works.

Here's what I tried:

1. There is no gradient angle lying over the document when selecting the text, and the fill tool.
  2. Copy / pasting another text object did nothing either, even though I already have the text at an upper level. It's not clipped or anything.
  3. Today, I made a swatch with a gradient in it, and used that. Though I didn't include it in my file, and it didn't work either.

Nothing works, or I'm using it wrong. Have you tested my file? Does it work for you? If so, what are you doing?

9 minutes ago, discomushroom said:

Have you tested my file? Does it work for you?

Yes, and No it doesn't.

I think you're trying to do something that is either not really supported (but then why would the Character panel or text style allow it?) or that is broken.

When one of the Serif staff has time to visit this topic, they may be able to tell us more.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, DWright said:

If you use a text frame rather than a artistic text then you can use the gradient option from the character panel, I will check with our developers if this is the expected behaviour when using artistic text.

This isn't working for me either. I already made both a paragraph and a character style, and applied them to a text frame instead of artistic text.

3 hours ago, Hens said:

As alternative one can create the gradient upfront and use the gradienttool to apply(and re-apply) it to the selected text this both artistic and textframe.
It should be usable in the textstyle though,or lose the option to do so.

I did this too, but it's slow and defeats the purpose. The goal is speed, like having global colors instead of fixing the same color on 100 different objects.

• 8 months later...