You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer - newbie technique question

How can I replicate a multi line shape with an exact off-set so that it follows the line but at a specified distance away, thus giving an exact thickness to the shape ?

I tried the Contour tool but that adds thickness all around the line, which obviously changes the dimensions.

Example below.

Capture2.JPG

Edited by Jeremy Nako
Added screen shot

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, Jeremy.

You might: Assuming it is a single line that you've drawn ("Curve" in the Layers panel) you could simply select it, duplicate it (Ctrl+J on Windows, or Cmd+J on Mac), then with the duplicate selected adjust its position using the Transform panel in the studio.

But for a thickness, you might also consider adjusting the Stroke width on the line. I'm not sure what you're attempting, so I'm not sure which is more appropriate.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi Walt, and thank you.

On the image below I have my original shape in red

In blue I've (very, very badly !) freehand traced what I'm trying to achieve.

The Transform tool wont (as I understand it) give me the accuracy that I need. The blue line should follow the red line but be an exact distance from it.

image.thumb.png.920cc8de43df1f1821c6379eb2136746.png

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

Here’s an alternative method – see attached video (after I select the nodes, part way through, I delete them).

This can be done more easily by deleting segments with Ctrl + Click, and then separating the curve.

3 hours ago, Jeremy Nako said:

Thank you to everyone, but I don't think that I'm at a level of understanding where I can do this yet.

I've tried to follow all the very kind videos, but either not seeing the same controls or not getting the same results.

Step by step, I think this is what @telemax suggested:

1. Duplicate the curve
  2. Use the Contour Tool to add thickness to one of the duplicates. (This will add thickness to both sides but don't worry about that).
  3. With the Contour Tool & the curve still selected, click the "Bake Appearance" button in the Context toolbar.
  4. With the curve still selected switch to the Node Tool, hold down the Control key on the keyboard to delete the segment of the curve at one end by clicking on it, then do the same for the other end. At this point the "(Curve)" layer on the Layers panel should become a "(Curves)" layer. (Note the plural.)
  5. To split it into 2 "(Curve)" layers use the Layer > Geometry > Separate curves menu item, or right click on the canvas to open a contextual menu & choose Geometry > Separate curves there.
  6. Select the top "(Curve)" layer with the Move Tool or Node Tool & delete it.

You should be left with a curve that follows the original one at an exact distance equal to the thickness you set in step 2.

If you are not seeing the same controls, make sure you are using Affinity Designer, its Designer Persona, & the Context toolbar is visible. If the Context Toolbar is not visible, tick "Show Context Toolbar" in the View menu.

I hope this helps.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thank you.

Again.. following your very kind and detailed instructions ... it didn't go to plan after item 3.

However... as a basis, and with a lot of node deletions and readjustment of node curves using guides I now have something that resembles what I was trying to achieve.

I'm grateful to everyone who helped.

7 hours ago, Jeremy Nako said:

... it didn't go to plan after item 3.

It might help if you explained what happened after step 3 instead of just saying it did not go as planned.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7