You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

pixelated text on copying.

please can someone explain something to me simply.

If I create bit of text and then copy it into another program be it Inkscape or MS Word it comes over in a non-vector format and is thus grainy when enlarged.  Converting the text to paths makes no difference either.

What am I missing or is Designer deficient in the way it copies data, because the same problem does not exist going from Inkscape into designer or Word.

Help please.  It's blowing my mind.   I cannot continue to use two packages for what should be a straightforward task.  I love Designers interface but Inkscape seems the better package all around at this point.

Help, help, help.

Base Unit:  Standard model M1 Mac Mini - until such time as I can afford a new or used Studio - albeit running its OS from an external NVMe (2TB).

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro Retina - i7, 16GB, 2TB SSD

Server: Mac Mini 2014 - i5, 16GB, 2TB SSD

Workshop: HP G4 running as a Hackintosh until more funds can be found to upgrade it.

Software:  Affinity Suite (ver. 2), Office 365, Fusion360, OnShape, Carbide Create, Cura, Inkscape

Is there any sort of effects on the "bit of text"? Some of these might need to have the text rasterized.

You could try enlarging the "bit of text" so that it is much larger than you need in Inkscape or MS Word then you could shrink it instead of enlarging it.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 2/16/2022 at 10:56 PM, Old Bruce said:

Is there any sort of effects on the "bit of text"? Some of these might need to have the text rasterized.

You could try enlarging the "bit of text" so that it is much larger than you need in Inkscape or MS Word then you could shrink it instead of enlarging it.

that kind of makes a mockery of using a vector drawing system which should provide for resolution independent graphics.

but no, nothing fancy, just text.

Base Unit:  Standard model M1 Mac Mini - until such time as I can afford a new or used Studio - albeit running its OS from an external NVMe (2TB).

Workshop: HP G4 running as a Hackintosh until more funds can be found to upgrade it.

Software:  Affinity Suite (ver. 2), Office 365, Fusion360, OnShape, Carbide Create, Cura, Inkscape

does the same with graphics as well.   it seems that when you copy to the clipboard something to the clipboard in Designer and say a fingerprint from the assets and copy it and paste it into the same document you can  resize it properly as you would expect from vector artwork (no pixelisation, no loss of quality... a proper vector), though if  you copy it from Designer into another app such inkscape or something else, it does not get copied over as a vector but a bitmap.

give it a try.

Are you copying the text by selecting the text frame? Or are you copying it by selecting the text with the text caret? Finally are you using Windows or Mac OS?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

13 minutes ago, Wosven said:

In the general preferences, try using "Copy as SVG".

you are a genius.... why on earth is that not enabled by default.

they should modify the Edit menu and right click context menu to include both Copy and Copy as SVG.  Easy win.