You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do you split a single shape with holes in the middle?

Hi,

I was wondering if there was a proper method a shape like the following two joined animals.

image.thumb.png.2c8dcf1a34286a42ff660915ececff2e.png

If I select all the nodes at the feet and use the break curve command it creates a bunch of extra shapes inside the holes between the feet, and also changes the length of the legs and screws up the back of the lower animal.

image.thumb.png.d80c8fc8238e8897e2102d920c57a5af.png

When I try to merge those shapes with the upper animal to punch out holes for the legs again the legs get cut off higher than the back of the lower animal.

image.thumb.png.5e7786c14555665f92803602f85fdbcb.png

Meanwhile the back of the lower animal gets an extra triangle above it's back that I can't figure out how to get rid of.

image.thumb.png.0d55eb22f8043cbc20b1a5175b72fd45.png

I'm assuming I've gone in the wrong direction here and there is a better way of splitting an object.

Can you upload the affinity .afdesign file.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, pixelstuff said:

It is the SVG file from here.

https://stock.adobe.com/images/there-s-no-business-like-show-business/360512924

Not sure we can legally share that on here.

Quite right.

One way to get what you want is to use the pen tool, to draw a narrow line and then expand the stroke to subtract from the curve, you will have to modify the shape back, see the video below...

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions