You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Drag and drop a layer to asset panel doesn't work

jmliss

From the very poorly written help page I paste the following. If you watch the video I posted, dragging from the layers panel, does show a + sign, but just outside the

assets panel and therefore does not "take" into the panel. So item 2 bullet one below doesn't work, but item 2 bullet 2 does work. This is either a bug or yet again the help

page is inadequate. Me thinks it is a bug. By the way, mature help pages should have mini short videos demonstrating how to execute the cryptic instructions, just sayin'

1. Select one or more objects or groups on the page or via the Layers panel.
  2. Do one of the following:
    • Drag the selection into the Assets panel (the cursor will change to show a plus icon) and release when you see a vertical insertion point.
    • On the Assets panel, click a subcategory's options menu and select Add from Selection.

Each item (object or group) in the selection is converted to a separate asset and placed in the subcategory with a default name.

I appreciate your response, however for me, dragging and dropping from the canvas does not work. It does not work on my Catalina iMAC with two monitors and it doesn't work on my Mac mini with Monterry. Pls provide a short video demonstrating how to drag/drop a selection from the canvas to the assets panel. My video shows how it didn't work for me. Attempting to drag from the canvas after selecting simply moves he layer.

4 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi @jmliss,
Here's a small clip (no sound) showing how to do it:

MEB - thank you. It worked now, let me explain. If the Asset panel is positioned as you show, it works. In my case, I had detached the asset panel and left if floating if you will and in that case it DOESN'T work. I still believe there is a bug, because it should work (drag and drop) to a floating asset panel. Had it not been for your video and my careful observation of what you were doing, I wouldn't have discovered the root cause of my issue. Pls try with detaching the asset panel and leave it floating. Then you might see what I did when I video'd my experience. If the bug is such that it can't be fixed with a floating asset panel, then the EUD (End User Documentation) needs to clarify.

Thank you -

1 minute ago, MEB said:

Yes, it doesn't work if the panel is floating. I believe this is by design (that is, currently is working as coded, not necessarily a bug) but i will check with the dev team and fill a bug report/or amend the Help as required. Thanks for raising this up.

Of course it is working as coded :), the issue is what did the specs or requirements say for this feature or perhaps it didn't address floating panels and so the developers either made their own choice or just coded it and the chips fell where they may. The fact that I saw the + sign near the floating panel suggests to me a behavior that was never tested for. What other Affinity Photo features behave the same way, meaning, what other features required a locked down panel ? Lets use this as a learning experience to either fix other latent bugs or provide improved documentation. A picture is worth a thousand words, so including short videos such as yours for other help items would undoubtedly enhance feature performance.

Thanks again :)

jmliss (a retired engineer)

Just now, MEB said:

Hi jmliss,
Actually it's a bug. It's working fine on Windows but failing on macOS. Issue logged to be looked at.

As per my previous observation, are their other studio features that fail with floating panels, or perhaps the bug lies in generic code/library. Thank you for your honesty and of course your short video.

55 minutes ago, jmliss said:

Floating panels do not exit when exiting affinity photo, at least on the MAC.

Do you mean Quitting the Affinity Photo or simply closing all the document windows? Check the menu bar and if it says Affinity Photo then the floating panels should be there, standard practice for Mac applications because you have not Quit the application, it is still running and is ready to make a new document or open one.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

11 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Do you mean Quitting the Affinity Photo or simply closing all the document windows? Check the menu bar and if it says Affinity Photo then the floating panels should be there, standard practice for Mac applications because you have not Quit the application, it is still running and is ready to make a new document or open one.

Bruce, you are correct. It works as you say. Quitting the app does kill the floating window. Just closing doesn't. On this one, I was wrong.