You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using a different pixel brush corrupts layer

Vosje

Hello, I have the latest version of Designer for iPad (Air 3, iOS 15.3). When I create a pixel layer and use a brush on it (from a pack purchased from Affinity store, doesn’t matter winch one because it happens to many of them), if I then choose a different brush and paint on the same layer again, I get a strange “halo” around my newly drawn line consisting of emtpy squares. Strangely enough this happens on certain parts of the layer, not everywhere… It doesn’t happen constantly, but it happens often. Too often, every time I am drawing. I have recorded a video for you. You almost cannot see the new line I’m drawing in the first video, because it’s very thin. I think this bug is related to another one, when layer gets corrupted after reverting a change made to it… See this thread: 

The reason why I think these bugs are related is because once my brush starts painting with a “halo”, if I try to undo it and go back in history, the layer mostly disappears as described in the thread.

• Staff

Hi @Vosje,

Sorry to see you're having trouble!

18 hours ago, Vosje said:

When I create a pixel layer and use a brush on it (from a pack purchased from Affinity store, doesn’t matter winch one because it happens to many of them), if I then choose a different brush and paint on the same layer again, I get a strange “halo” around my newly drawn line consisting of emtpy squares.

I can confirm that the specific brushes in use here certainly are important, as brushes have various settings that may be affecting the pixel layers (such as Wet Edges & Blend Modes).

Can you please confirm which exact brush you use first, and then the second brush you use to paint over the original stroke, so I can look into this further here?
Does your layer have any opacity or blend mode set?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi, @Dan C, thanks for your reply. I am not sure that this won’t happen with standard Affinity brushes. It’s just that I’m mostly using custom brushes and I thought it was worth mentioning. I will test it next time this happens.

The layers have absolutely no speciaal settings, I just create a new pixel layer and that’s it. I didn’t alter the brushes in these video’s either, the only thing I may have changed it it’s size…

This happens for sure with Eleni Debo, Rusty Nib and Neptune brushes. It doesn’t seem to matter which brush I choose, could be any of them, but in the first video I think I used Neptune blue danube first and then gel pen from Neptune Inks. In the second video I definitely used Eleni’s cloudy texture pencil brush and it looks like I’m using the same brush the second time as well. I think I’ve only changed the color (it’s a bit lighter).

Edit: what makes this difficult is that it doesn’t happen all the time. Often the brushes work as expected, and then suddenly not anymore.

Ok, this keeps happening again and again. I was using Neptune Ink sevilla brush and I didn’t even change it, only turned one layer on and off again. After that my brush started doing those removing-everything-I’ve-previously-drawn square things again. I then chose one of Affinity basic brushes and that brush painted as expected.

• Staff

Many thanks for the further information provided!

1 hour ago, Vosje said:

I was using Neptune Ink sevilla brush and I didn’t even change it, only turned one layer on and off again. After that my brush started doing those removing-everything-I’ve-previously-drawn square things again.

I've tried testing this here, using both my finger and an Apple Pencil as the input device and this continues to work as expected for me -

Can you please provide a copy of your document where this is occuring? Many thanks once again :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi @Dan C, I have made a copy of the file that originally got corrupted, it doesn’t contain all the layers because I cannot share the complete illustration. When I copied the layers to the new file I tried to recreate this error but for a long time nothing weird happened. Finally, I made the brush really big (was using Neptune blue danube at 600+ px) and got the removed rectangles immediately… You can spot the error right away I think, it has straight borders. Maybe my iPad has difficulties handling it? Maybe the error happes often if the file is large? My iPad has 3 GB ram. Should that be enough?

2 hours ago, Vosje said:

Hi @Dan C, I have made a copy of the file that originally got corrupted, it doesn’t contain all the layers because I cannot share the complete illustration. When I copied the layers to the new file I tried to recreate this error but for a long time nothing weird happened. Finally, I made the brush really big (was using Neptune blue danube at 600+ px) and got the removed rectangles immediately… You can spot the error right away I think, it has straight borders. Maybe my iPad has difficulties handling it? Maybe the error happes often if the file is large? My iPad has 3 GB ram. Should that be enough?

corruptbrush.afdesign 35.67 MB · 3 downloads

Hi Vosje!
As I described "my" issue more in terms of the destructive "undo"-functions, I've also always supposed it has sth to do with the pixel brushes, Neptune, Rusty Nib & Co. It's interesting that it seems to get worse with encreasing the brushe's size - I will test this. With the brushes I already had another issues, too, for example that they didn't paint, or that there is a strong delay.

Also zooming in and out is mostly not possible without waiting several seconds.

I wonder if all these problems are caused by one single bug? And why don't other iPad users have this problem as well? 

Which iPad do you use? Mine is an iPad Pro 2. Generation (2017). I don't know if the issues depend on the devices. The RAM of my iPad is 4GB but there are these issues anyway. 

Hi @Marina P., I have an iPad Air 3 (3GB). But unlike pc’s which can have lots of different specs, that’s not the case with iPads, so that’s a good question: why are we seeing these errors constantly, and others don’t? I really don’t know and that’s a big problem. I don’t think we are the only ones who use these brushes a lot… But even we don’t know what exactly triggers this and when this will happen again. This makes it extremely difficult to fix, I think… One thing is sure: custom pixel brushes are part of the problem because these bugs always occur when we use them. May that be the direct painting with a halo, or the undo functions which are happening after the brushes were used…

• Staff
21 hours ago, Vosje said:

Finally, I made the brush really big (was using Neptune blue danube at 600+ px) and got the removed rectangles immediately… You can spot the error right away I think, it has straight borders.

Thanks for confirming this! I can certainly replicate this issue immediately, it appears as though there may be a memory handling issue when using high quality pixel brushes at large sizes - the app certainly should be able to handle this.

18 hours ago, Marina P. said:

I described "my" issue more in terms of the destructive "undo"-functions

In testing the above, I also witnessed this - painting with a large brush caused the 'blocky-ness' around the strokes, effectively removing the pixel information that was already in the layer.

Undoing the most recently painted stroke correctly removes this from the document, but does not return the 'missing' pixel data & I suspect this is being caused due to the same memory mishandling as above.

I'm getting both of these logged with our developers now, to be fixed asap. I hope this helps :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

Wow, @Dan C, I am so glad you were able to replicate this! Now there’s a hope this will be fixed! I hope that they will have a look at this asap, this bug is really frustrating: when you’re happy with what you just created, the next stroke destroys it and you have to re-draw…

Also, I have to add that the issue of undoing destroying the layer is certainly not limited just to the newly added stroke that has those blocks. Once I had a layer consisting of an imported photo, I accidentally painted something on it with one of the brushes and once I tried to revert it, MOST of the photo was gone, leaving me with just a tiiiiiiiiny rectangle part of it that was not even 1% of it’s original size. So, much more got whiped away than just the part I painted on…

23 hours ago, Vosje said:

Wow, @Dan C, I am so glad you were able to replicate this! Now there’s a hope this will be fixed! I hope that they will have a look at this asap, this bug is really frustrating: when you’re happy with what you just created, the next stroke destroys it and you have to re-draw…

Also, I have to add that the issue of undoing destroying the layer is certainly not limited just to the newly added stroke that has those blocks. Once I had a layer consisting of an imported photo, I accidentally painted something on it with one of the brushes and once I tried to revert it, MOST of the photo was gone, leaving me with just a tiiiiiiiiny rectangle part of it that was not even 1% of it’s original size. So, much more got whiped away than just the part I painted on…

Yes, that i right that the undo-function often removes more. Several times I didn't have the issue with the rectangles, but if I had (for example) a drawing out of 20 lines and I clicked "undo", the last 15 lines were removed at once. 

• 2 months later...

Good day @Dan C,
I have been having similar problems as discussed above (though in Affinity Photo). and you referred me a couple of weeks ago to this topic. I am very happy to hear you are working on it.  I wonder how it is coming along. I would so very much want to use the app care free again; without fear of loosing precious work.

To be sure I'll add a picture (just in case it might be something different) I often loose data when using different brushstrokes (or brush and eraser) or when undo-ing. In this case I lost a all white brush lines in a particular layer, whilst working on a completely different layer zoomed in somewhere else in the document. (I didn't notice it at first) When trying to undo I got some lines back (some turned black and other square fields kept empty...

Do you have any idea when this will be fixed?
Thank you in advance for your time!
Best,

Frederiek

IMG_0621.PNG