You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resolution when converting RAW files

I am trying to make the transition from Photoshop to Affinity Photo and for developing raw images I find Affinity Photo more powerful than the raw file converter, but I have a problem with resolution.

Amongst other cameras, I use a Fujifilm GFX 50S and when I convert the raw images with the free software RAW FILE CONVERTER EX 3.0 powered by SILKYPIX, I get images with a resolution of 300 DPI, but when I convert them in Affinity Photo Develop Persona, the result has just 72 DPI (even though when I open the file in Photoshop I find that it is 16 bit!).

There must be an Affinity Photo default setting that is wrong, but I can't see where to change it.

I know how to change the resolution manually, one image at a time, in Affinity Photo, after the image has been developed, but cutting the resolution from the 300 dpi in the camera down to 72 dpi and then changing it back up to 300 dpi must result in loss of definition.

Guidance on how to solve this would be greatly appreciated!

Trevor

Hi,

normally there is no loss at all.

Only the number of pixels count, and this stays constant when you use „resize“.

The DPI setting is only a metadata attribute, and it is used to calculate the actual physical size if printed out or displayed  at „original“ size. You can change it without any impact to image quality.

All this changes if you change the mode to from „resize“ to „resample“. Then you could actually change the pixel count.

All said is limited to Affinity Photo and how DPI is used in context of RAW development.

In case of copy/pasting, or Publisher, DPI get more relevant when combining multiple source documents with different settings.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.