You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity trio Preferences & Studio Presets not recognised

Hi

I have all the personas.dat, preferences.dat and the studio.preset files from my three Affinity apps' last installation before performing a clean install of Mojave. I was running Mojave before the clean install.

I've reinstalled the 3 Affinity apps and returned all the .dat and .preset files from my previous installation to the relevant ~Library/Application Support/Affinity * folder but the Apps no longer recognise any of these files. They open to the default UI rather than to the way I had everything set up before - like Studio Panel layout, tool layout etc. I've successfully done this before a couple of years ago and the apps recognised the user preferences files, but no dice this time.

Anyone have an idea as to how to get the 3 apps to recognise the preference files as setting everything up across 3 apps is a pain in the *.

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 2.9GHz, 16GB, 4GB GPU, macOS 11.7.8

Affinity Designer 1.10.6, Affinity Photo 1.10.6, Affinity Publisher 1.10.6

If you installed the applications from the same Store you previously used, and installed the saved files to the same directories they were in before, and didn't change OS, I wouldl have expected that to work.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

26 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

installed the saved files to the same directories they were in before

It may also be important to remember that the files go in different places for each application, and different places depending on where you purchased them. And also different places depending on the Mac OS you're running.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

18 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It may also be important to remember that the files go in different places for each application, and different places depending on where you purchased them. And also different places depending on the Mac OS you're running.

Thanks walt.farrell, yes I was careful to make sure that they went into the location determined by the Affinity store version. Very strange.

• Staff

Hi Ted88,

If everything has definitely been placed in the correct locations I'm somewhat stumped as to what might solve this. Just to be sure what is the file path you placed your studio presets into?

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

4 hours ago, Callum said:

Hi Ted88,

If everything has definitely been placed in the correct locations I'm somewhat stumped as to what might solve this. Just to be sure what is the file path you placed your studio presets into?

Thanks
C

Hi @Callum, thanks for your response. I've since had to set up all three apps from scratch but when trying to resolve the issue, all files went into the hidden ~Library/Application Support/Affinity*/Presets path as shown in the attached image. Obviously the Designer, Photo and Publisher files went to their relevant Preset folders, Personas.dat and Preferences.dat files went to the ~Library/Application Support/Affinity* folder. I tested to see if the location was correct by saving a new preset from within one of the apps and the corresponding folder was populated with the new preset. When copying saved presets to the same location nothing is recognised by any of the apps.

The only other thing I can think of is that the saved presets I have are from version 1.10.1 and I am now running 1.10.4. I'm actually not sure if the apps were on 1.10.1 or 1.10.4 when trying to get them to recognise my saved presets as I've only recently updated to 1.10.4.

Screenshot 2022-02-21 at 20.21.10.png

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2022 at 1:19 PM, Ted88 said:

The only other thing I can think of is that the saved presets I have are from version 1.10.1 and I am now running 1.10.4

Nope. I did the same with same app version, and it doesn't show up. I will create a new sample one and replace it with the preset file renamed just to see if that works.

CleanShot 2022-03-22 at 19.34.55.png

See my comics: dearmascomics.com

Heard my Radio Show: mimegaradio.com

Ask for my services: albertkinng.com