You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] Ɨ

I'm trying to make a 3-d pie chart on this new (to me) program. I can find zero information in your tutorials, zero information in your help files, zero information in Youtube tutorials and there is no manual. Why did I buy this program?šŸ˜”

Because it's cheap andĀ  intuitive for theĀ  most part. But I also have access to Illustrator. But it's unnecessarily complicated and I don't like having to interrupt my creative flow to look up techniques on Youtube.

But at least I can look something up. You're not Adobe. There is no well-established group of people offering instruction for Designer. And you don't even have a manual.

So how am I going to make my 3-d pie chart? I'm going to go back to Illustrator. Not because I like it, but I have to get something done in a hurry and you're not helping.

I'll keep using your program because it has a lot going for it, but when it comes to the crunch I can always rely on Illustrator for the information I need to do a job in a hurry. So. You are number two in a field of two

If you could ignore this problem you could become number two in a field of one.

Or you could have enough respect for the people who have put their faith in your program to support them with a well-written and thoroughly indexed manual and a free online support system that includes telephone call-backs. Your customers will feel valued and you will grow like Apple.

Thank you forĀ  allowing me to vent.

Edited by perfidious
Clarity

As for the ā€˜missingā€™ functionality, what made you assume that the software would be able to make 3D pie charts?
Or, to put that another way, what makes you think that 3D pie chart creation would be of a higher priority than all of the other functionality which exists in other software that doesnā€™t exist in Designer?
Or, to put that another slightly different way, why would you think that 3D pie chart creation would have been such a high priority for the developers in the first eight years or so of the applicationā€™s lifetime that it would be implemented before everything else which users are asking for?

As for the ā€˜missingā€™ manual, have you tried the Help file, via menu ā€œHelp ā†’ Affinity Designer Helpā€?

As for being able to create what you want, if you can give us a visual example of the sort of thing you want to create then someone may be able to share some techniques.

8 hours ago, GarryP said:

As for the ā€˜missingā€™ functionality, what made you assume that the software would be able to make 3D pie charts?
Or, to put that another way, what makes you think that 3D pie chart creation would be of a higher priority than all of the other functionality which exists in other software that doesnā€™t exist in Designer?
Or, to put that another slightly different way, why would you think that 3D pie chart creation would have been such a high priority for the developers in the first eight years or so of the applicationā€™s lifetime that it would be implemented before everything else which users are asking for?

As for the ā€˜missingā€™ manual, have you tried the Help file, via menu ā€œHelp ā†’ Affinity Designer Helpā€?

As for being able to create what you want, if you can give us a visual example of the sort of thing you want to create then someone may be able to share some techniques.

It didn't occur to me that 3d was so impossible since you actually have a pie tool. The flat pie graphics that I created served the purpose especially with drop shadows, but I really wanted to create something like the attached. Illustrator can do it but I prefer Designer despite my complaining.

Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 1.07.05 PM.png

8 hours ago, GarryP said:

This sort of thing here:

Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 1.07.05 PM.png

I think Designer can come close to that. You need to learn how to use the Isometric Grids, to help with the perspective. YouTube search for Affinity Designer Isometric Tutorial

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

And donā€™t forget that every spreadsheet software has build-in 3D pie charts.Ā 
Normally the focus is more on automated creation based on input data.

You can import these images and do fancy graphical stuff in Photo / Designer if this would help to make (fake) data more trustworthy for the viewers.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Ā 

Ā 

On 2/14/2022 at 8:46 AM, GarryP said:

Or to put it another way, how much did you pay for Illustrator and how much did you pay for Affinity? I speak as someone with years of experience of the former and who is now unable to justify the leasing cost. There are some ways that AI is better than AD; there are some ways that AD is better than AI. That's what happens with different software.