You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Thank you for the Artboards feature... But can I say something about it as well?

Thank you so so so much for implementing this feature I am positive I am not the only one that feels this thankful. Please take what I'm about to say in the most positive way possible. I want this app to be the best it can be. I offer feedback because I believe it can be better..  :)  and if it can be better than why not....

First off, I feel like an artboard isn't really a "Tool" so I find it odd that it has been implemented as one.

When using the "Insert Artboard" button in the context menu you are given the option to create an artboard with the same dimensions as the "document" which is really just an artboard as well, just the initial one. Should naming be changed so "document" means the entire affinity designer file, and "artboard" means each board that allows for placement of layers and elements?

I was thinking that the task flow can be: when nothing is selected (same as when the "Document Setup" button appears in the context menu), a button labeled "Artboards" appears as well and where clicking on this button brings up a menu similar to the "Document Setup" menu that allows users to enter the number of artboards we want to create, their sizes, and how we want to place them (using a grid of rows and columns) I've attached a file (New Artboard Implementation.png) to better demonstrate what I mean in this last part.

I also feel that in the layers panel something should be done UI wise to denote that an artboard is different and higher level than a layer, maybe the triangle pointer icon enclosed in a circle should be exclusive to artboards and the previous triangle icon be used for layers like in the last version of AD?

So sorry if I've offended anyone on the team with this, but the way it's currently implemented makes me scratch my head and reminds me of when I was trying to learn Illustrator and I cannot have AD be in any way like Illustrator in that sense. I want AD to be great so that is why I'm throwing in my 2 cents.

Thanks for reading!

post-18886-0-21389600-1449706241_thumb.png

I think we will see these and other suggestions taken into consideration as the features matures. Now that artboards have been added and people are using them my hope is that some of the basics tools and UI will be revisited and refined, not just artboards.

There are a few threads in the beta forum about the decision to make artboard control a tool in a group with the general selection tool. While it works fine (and you can at least customize the toolbar to put a copy of the tool outside the group), I'm hoping the team revisits some of the thoughts around it in the future.

And don't get me wrong, these minor UI quibbles do not at all dampen my enthusiasm for having artboards in Affinity Designer.  :)

There are a few threads in the beta forum about the decision to make artboard control a tool in a group with the general selection tool. While it works fine (and you can at least customize the toolbar to put a copy of the tool outside the group), I'm hoping the team revisits some of the thoughts around it in the future.

And don't get me wrong, these minor UI quibbles do not at all dampen my enthusiasm for having artboards in Affinity Designer.  :)

My reason for sharing feedback is because of the quibbles (I hope I posted it in the right section), what I love about AD is how straight forward I've found it so far, the current artboard implementation makes me scratch my head a bit, which in turn reminds me of my time with Illustrator which I hate.