You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Shift Click to add selection

Hi, for the Flood Select Tool, if you go “control click” on mac you get to add more selection to the existing selection. It should however be “shift click” that lets you add to the magic wand selection so that it matches to photoshop shortcuts. And it makes sense because all other applications use SHIFT to add selection. Not CONTROL. In order for photoshop users to easily transfer to APhoto, the add selection magic wand feaute should be SHIFT CLICK. Thanks!

Changing the way the software works at such a fundamental level, for all users, may confuse/annoy lots of existing Affinity users who are already used to using it the way it is now.
However, giving users the option to change the keyboard modifier, if they want to do so, may be a better solution.

8 hours ago, GarryP said:

Changing the way the software works at such a fundamental level, for all users, may confuse/annoy lots of existing Affinity users who are already used to using it the way it is now.
However, giving users the option to change the keyboard modifier, if they want to do so, may be a better solution.

Yup! You’re absolutely right! Giving the users the option to use SHIFT CLICK instead of CTRL CLICK to add selection to the Flood Select Tool would be perfect!

• 3 months later...

It is unacceptable that these are not CONSISTENT across all selection tools.

SHIFT is almost universally the ADD to selection modifier in MOST SOFTWARE.

• iMac 12,2, 16GB RAM, with Mac OS 10.13.6 (17G14033), Wacom Intuos3 9x12
• iPad Pro 12.9" 1st gen & Apple Pencil

http://dysamoria.com

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It's INSANE not to be able to hold the shift key to add to the selection - I have an apple mouse and there is no way to click the 'right' button and simultaneously click the left side of the mouse to add to the selection. There MUST be an easy way to add to the selection???!!!

10 hours ago, RKS said:

It's INSANE not to be able to hold the shift key to add to the selection - I have an apple mouse and there is no way to click the 'right' button and simultaneously click the left side of the mouse to add to the selection. There MUST be an easy way to add to the selection???!!!

Look at the Status Bar while you have the Tool selected? What does it say you need to do?

Windows and Mac work differently.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 months later...

Wondering ...

Using Rectangular Marquee Tool, can I change it so that Shift-Drag adds and Alt-Drag subtracts from the current selection? I think this is de facto standard in the majority of graphic apps out there.

Tried finding the setting in Preferences > Shortcuts > (Photo >) Select but didn't find the shortcuts there.

Edited by HCE

19 minutes ago, HCE said:

Using Rectangular Marquee Tool, can I change it so that Shift-Drag adds and Alt-Drag subtracts from the current selection?

No.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1