You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

hidden layers in ai and illustrator pdf files

Hello,  I'm very new to Affinity.  I downloaded the trial to see if it is something I want to purchase.

I have an ai file (as well as a pdf) that was created in the latest Adobe Illustrator.  If I open the file in Illustrator, I'm able to see hidden layers. (I'm working on a label design and have several options I'm considering)  When I attempted to open the file in Affinity, I'm not seeing the hidden layers.  Is there a way to view those within Affinity?

Thank you.

• Staff

Hi Danspurling00

This happens because Adobe puts an .AI file in all of the PDF's you export. So when you re open the .PDF in Illustrator it automatically picks up the .AI file and brings the information from there. However Affinity isn't able to read the .AI file it can only read the .PDF and unfortunately .PDF's don't support hidden layers. You would have to make them all visible again export as .PDF and then bring that file into Affinity.

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 1 month later...

Hi

We use PDF's to send to our larger format inkjet printers at work, We set out files like this..

Top layer for the artwork

Middle layer for the Camera dots

Bottom layer for the CNC cutting file (This layer is hidden for the file we send to the printers)

So when I open the PDF in AD the cutting layer will not import.

Is there any reason AD can't read the AI file in the PDF? If it could it would make our transition to AD easier.

Adrian

JevoUK,

Files created in Illustrator can be saved with an embedded pdf in the AI file. It is that embedded PDF that Designer imports, not the native AI file. If there is no embedded PDF as sometimes happens with older versions of Illustrator, or if someone has saved the AI file and deselected the option to save with PDF, then Designer cannot open those AI files.

Thanks jmac I understand now.

When we save our files from Illustrator as a PDF we use the "High Quality Print" preset and when imported into AD the hidden layers don't import,

If we save the PDF file using the "Illustrator Default" preset the Hidden layers import.

The attached file has the Pink square hidden and the file saved using the "Illustrator Default" setting

Adrian

test2.pdf