You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.4 rotation center

Hi,

Excited about new option in Affinity Designer 1.4 to be able to set rotation center. However I have some feature request regarding to it:

1. Center should be available in Transform area so that you can enter one, not only setting it by dragging in a point
  2. A way to reuse a center point across elements, perhaps by Cmd+click on a rotation point "locking" it across elements.
    1. Set a center point (say by dragging it)
    2. Cmd-click on it to lock it for reuse
    3. Rotate another element using same locked center point
    4. Cmd-click on it again to release it

I tried something that would even involve the 9-root-point-matrix …

The Transform panel would look something like this:

– Four input pairs, one of the pair with a light grey anchor.

– As soon as those are filled with an x/y value, their anchor symbols turn white whereas all of the nine default points turn grey.

– When the values in the fields are erased the middle point gets selected (and turns white while the anchors turn light grey).

– If on the other hand one of the nine points is selected while there are x/y values in the anchor point fields those values are erased (or maybe they mirror the actual coordinates of the selected point).

Of course few more vertical pixels for clearer looks would’nt hurt.

post-210-0-09166600-1449750089_thumb.png

Great that you like it, Matt (and netsi1964 of course)!

Looking at it a second time I think the anchor point input fields should not start out empty but instead always reflect the value of the actual anchor point. Thus their x/y values would be identical to the x/y values in the field pair above – unless you’d type something else. In this case the little anchors would become highlighted and the nine predefined reference points would turn grey.

Great idea Matthias! I would only add one thing: Swap the two bottom input pairs (Anchor X,Y and R° & S°) so that users don't mix up the two X+Y pairs when quickly inputting changes...

I tried something that would even involve the 9-root-point-matrix …

The Transform panel would look something like this:

– Four input pairs, one of the pair with a light grey anchor.

– As soon as those are filled with an x/y value, their anchor symbols turn white whereas all of the nine default points turn grey.

– When the values in the fields are erased the middle point gets selected (and turns white while the anchors turn light grey).

– If on the other hand one of the nine points is selected while there are x/y values in the anchor point fields those values are erased (or maybe they mirror the actual coordinates of the selected point).

Of course few more vertical pixels for clearer looks would’nt hurt.

Ooooh... that looks good! :D

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

One last wish for this thread would be if this worked with selected nodes and not just on an object level. I miss the ability to grab 2 or more nodes and scale toward a point or rotate just a few nodes...  tweaking always tweaking...  :D

Perhaps the Anchor icon on the Transform panel should match the icon used in the Context Toolbar to set the center point?

That's a fancy-looking transform panel - we might steal that ;)

A

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

So while we're talking about rotation centres...

When you group two or more items, you still have all of the information about the items in that group right? Including their original rotation centres presumably.

It'd be incrediawesome if when you're choosing a new rotation centre you can snap the constituent shapes' centres as well as the groups communal centre. Maybe with a keyboard modifier to override this behaviour. Hopefully you're all still with me..

Basically it means you can do stuff like the attached video and a whole lot more when people get their hands on it.

https://youtu.be/pSXJDSedBFs

• 1 month later...

Hopefully this will start getting some love in the next beta please... :-)  a little more control of nodes as opposed to the whole shape would be most welcomed... align, scale, rotate.

• Staff

It'll get looked at again soon.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB