You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

3D Software

This is more of a request for a new product "category" for your company — 3D Modeling and Animation software.

Yes, there are many such programs on the Market but there is one that I've been using for many years that I really like. It's called: "Carrara". I find it to be one of the easiest, feature-packed and lowest cost programs in this category today. However, the company that owns it, "Daz Productions", hasn't supported it for several years. (Yes, there is "free" software, such as "Blender", but it's not as easy to use as Carrara.)

Information on the Carrara software is difficult to find on the Daz website but here is the direct link to the boxed product:

https://www.daz3d.com/carrara-8-5-pro

If you don't want to click on that link, you'll have to visit their website "daz3d.com", then do a website search for "carrara" and, finally, click the "Carrara 8.5 Pro" thumbnail on that page.

I don't have any affiliation to Daz Productions, the Carrara software, etc. I'm simply an End User of Carrara and hate to see it just disappear.

You've done a fairly good job with Affinity Designer, that I purchased recently, so I thought Carrara would be a good fit for your company.

I remember Carrara back in the 90s - even at that time it was a bit of an outlier. It had potential, but it just couldn't compete very well.

It is extremely outdated for 3d software. Serif would have to rewrite the core of Carrara altogether to allow it to compete and that is never going to be lucrative: Blender's usability has jumped ahead by leagues in the latest versions, and is now quite easy to get into for a beginner. And obviously Blender is light years ahead of Carrara in terms of functionality.

Carrara belongs in the archives of old defunct 3d software, unfortunately.

I am amazed that Daz is still selling it for $285! But it seems they actually merely selling their 3d assets and Carrara happens to be part of that deal. It's not even compatible anymore with Mac Os. Serif would be sinking cash in a very VERY deep money pit.

It would be preferable for Serif to acquire LightWave instead (but that's going to have a really tough time competing with Blender as well...).

It would be hard to compete with Blender even if it was a "normal" software. But it's not, it has an infinite money cheat code. Just look at the bottomless pocket sponsors list... The Blender foundation get 150.000 € per month just from that. They can keep pumping out features, development, etc and not worry about costs. And that is just raw money.

Many of these corporate sponsors are also providing code, if the foundation had to pay someone to write, it would be very, very expensive. A recent example is Apple engineers providing Metal rendering on Cycles X for free.