You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a way to have save as and export save to the location the file is from?

This is something that’s driving me crazy. I have no clue, how Publisher determines the location to save a file. Rather than saving to the same location from which the file was opened, it saves to some previously used location. Even have to go hunting for files. Is there a way to change this? I looked in preferences but I can’t find anything. 

No, there's no Preference for that, but it's been requested a number of times.

For example:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yes, it would be nice if the app offered the document opening and most recent export paths as options (I'd prefer listing them in context of exporting rather than as an either/or option in the Prefeerences).

In lack of anything better, on Windows you can copy the document save path on Clipboard by choosing File > Save As and then copying the path on top of the dialog box. Then when exporting, paste the copied path on top of the Export dialog box to change the target path:

On macOS, you should see the most recently accessed folders listed in the drop-down control that you can access when exporting a file, but as the list is system-wide, I am not sure if this works adequately well in app-wise context:

recentplaces.jpg.9ee12129389b3b5c7f31c2c9a528fcd5.jpg

EDIT: As for initial "saving as" places, I think that the system (both Windows and macOS) provides tools for easily accessing the standard and most recently/frequently used saving locations (the apps seem to default to most recently used location).