You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sections of brush strokes disappearing in Affinity Photo

I'm using Affinity Photo 1.10.4, and for some reasons rectangular sections of my brush stroke disappear as I draw. If I mouse over the disappearing sections they will reappear individual. Or, if I minimize and maximize Affinity Photo the entire brush stroke will reappear, they will reappear. I've been using the program for a while, and it's never done that until this week. I've tried restarted the computer.

Attached are two screen shots: one right after drawing (with missing sections), and then the same brush stroke after minimizing and restoring Affinity Photo.

665777456_Screenshot2022-02-07130137.thumb.png.13ae37cb59c30c8652b5dd8d7d41baf8.png2084292758_Screenshot2022-02-07130357.thumb.png.58476965a24eec284e7fe4f6dd9ec8af.png

• Staff

Hi @Alec Sorensen,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

Sorry to see you're having trouble!

This is likely caused by a combination of your GPU driver and Hardware Acceleration within Affinity, so I'd recommend the following:

• Within AP, navigate to Edit > Preferences > Performance and untick Hardware Acceleration
  • Visit your GPU manufactures website and download the latest available driver directly, then install this
  • Ensure that Windows is fully up to date

Once you've completed these steps, restart your PC and then try using Affinity once again - does this resolve the issue for you please?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 1 month later...

Good day @Dan C
I have the same problem. Have had it for months now many updates have passed. Working with masks in Affinity Photo on my iPad, sometimes entire fields of information disappear within 1 layer (in neat squares like in the pictures above). Reversing actions or going back in history does not recover the lost data. At first it was just within the masks (which I create using various brushes) but today it also happened within a pixel layer... (my entire pixel drawing had vanished) I couldn't make a screenshot, because there were to little pixels left to demonstrate. It is very frustrating loosing all that work and it always seems to happen when the file is heavy...

I hope you know a way to avoid this :)

Thank you in advance for your time!

Best,

Frederiek

• Staff

Hi @hFA,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

I can confirm this has been reported separately in an iPad specific thread and is something we've been able to replicate internally - this issue is currently logged with our developers to be fixed ASAP.

I hope this helps & my sincerest apologies for any inconveniences in the meantime.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Thank you and thank you for replying so quickly, @Dan C I probably didn't use the correct search terms to find this thread. I am happy to hear you're working on it! Could you maybe share a link to this thread, so I can follow the topic and know when it is solved? I hope that is no inconvenience! Best, Frederiek

• Staff

Not to worry! The bug was originally reported for Designer so I can understand you posting in a thread regarding Photo :)

Please note -

Many thanks!