You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Urgent Everything comes in Black!! Unable to enter size!!! New Release....

Place gives me nothing but black Open works new pixel layer will not fill stays black, Typing stops no entry in any software with Photo or designer open. Some up date!!!

Mac MacBook Pro 15 in.  OS X 10.9.5, Mid 2012 456.77 GB Affinity Design and Photo.

Went back to the old version no problems, why update if it is not working????? Can't believe it wait Yes I can.... Can't enter any text in any app with the affinity software up dates open Photo or designer !! 

Mac MacBook Pro 15 in.  OS X 10.9.5, Mid 2012 456.77 GB Affinity Design and Photo.

• Staff

We still can't recreate the issue here. We have had a couple of thousand users running the beta and this isn't something we had seen.

Can you confirm you are still running OS X 10.9.5? We will try again to recreate the issue and have a look. 

One last question, do you run any utilities to switch between graphics cards in your MacBook Pro? If so can you try switching and try again.

I'm sure we can find the problem but we might need a bit more help.

I have exactly the same problem as "uncle808us" when I updated an hour ago to V1.4. It opens all images in black!

My computer is an iMac 27"/2013 running OS 10.9.5 and Lightroom 5.7.

I reistalled the 1.3.5 from my TimeMachine backup and that works fine. I then deleted the new 1.4 update and reloaded it from AppStore. Now I have both versions installed in separate folders. I can open any image Affinity 1.3.5 from Lightroom or from a disc using the finder but not to the 1.4. All images open totally black. If the case of PSD files all layers are visible but the image window stays totally black.

I don't know what to do, so I remain waiting for a fix. Until then I'll continue working with V1.3.5.

• Staff

It looks like your machine is a 2012 Retina MacBook Pro? Can you confirm that if you just start a new, RGBA8 document with sRGB colour profile and draw a red rectangle with the rectangle tool that all you see is black where there should have been content?

Can you also try converting your document to be CMYK temporarily - does that now draw to the screen correctly?

We're just trying to establish whereabouts the problem may be. We have formatted our HD4000-equipped Mac Mini and installed Mavericks 10.9.5 and do not get this problem, we will now try the same on our 2012 Retina MacBook Pro and see if it succeeds.

Many thanks in advance,

Matt

Answer to the question of uncle808us: yes, typing text works fine with another program while 1.4 is running.

I've made some testing of my own and it seems that the problem is somehow file related. I've found out that there are jpg, tiff and psd files that open correctly in Affinity 1.4 and then files that open with black image window but showing all layers in the layers palette.

• Staff

Can you open one of the files you attached that currently fails and then change its colour profile by choosing Document->Assign ICC Profile... and selecting sRGB. Does this now show you the document?

I'm wondering if there is a failure to build the colour transform for you between ProPhoto (which all of your broken files have in common) and the display?

Thanks again,

Matt

Hello Matt

I did as you suggested and it worked. I also tried another colour space ie. Adobe RGB and that worked too. I've used the ProPhoto color space with my Lightroom since the version 2 as recommended by Martin Evening and it has worked fine until now. My colour management workflow from monitor to high quality prints has been satisfactory to me. I hope this does not mean I should change that or that I could not benefit from the new interesting features of your 1.4 software.

Otherwise I am very happy with not having to rely entirely on Adobe! Thank you for that.

• Staff

Great, that's really interesting to discover! :) You're doing nothing at all wrong and I wouldn't advise you to change your methods at all - if you're happy with your existing process then please carry on. We will be able to release an update that fixes the problem for you, but I think we can probably fix Affinity right now on your machine if you wanted to try something?

If you open Affinity Photo then right-click its icon in the dock and choose 'Options'->'Show in Finder' then Finder will open showing your currently installed Affinity Photo's location. Now close Affinity Photo. Now right-click the Affinity Photo icon in Finder and choose 'Show Package Contents'. Go into the 'Resources' folder inside there and search for 'ProPhoto.icc' and move it to trash. Now empty the trash.

When you next start Affinity Photo, I think it should always work...

I'm really sorry about that - we'll endeavour to get this fixed as soon as possible. I wonder if this is also happening to uncle808us?

Matt

I don't want to butt in, but here's my bit :

The attached psd's opened straightaway in Pixelmator when downloading, without having to choose "Open With" first.

Open in AFP 1.4 also, without any trouble, have to choose "Open with", or startup AFP first, though.

iMac 27", El Cap 10.11.2

Display Type: Retina LCD

Resolution: 5120 x 2880 Retina

Retina: Yes

Pixel Depth: 30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010)

Yes changing to sRGB color worked but I still have the strange typing problem, I just now opened the App Photo and before doing anything I can now type as you are seeing. Now I will go and open a project.... be back ok so far so good.... now to place an image.....No typing was able here or anywhere including trying to start a new image the size field was unable to be typed into. I was able to type in a file name to save the file and one to export but when I went to New I could not again type in the size fields or type here until I quit the Affinity Photo App.[ This typing problem is the same for the latest versions of Affinity and Design]

Hope you can figure this one out. below is the setting without black opening for me anyway:

post-12456-0-25806700-1449756999_thumb.jpg

Hello Matt. Great Bob from You. I now have everything working again after following your advice. I removed the ProPhoto.icc from the Affinity Resource folder and started AP again.

I've been using Affinity Photo since its early beta versions and this was the first time I asked for help. It's great to notice that there is quick and professional help when one needs it. There are still a lot of funktions for me to learn....

I've now had time also to try out the new Panorama and Stacking functions and they seen to work well. The only regret is that it is not possible to open the files from Lightroom (as with LR/PS combination). Perhaps with the next update?

Regards

Jorma

vieuxjeux

I had the same problem on my 2013 27" iMac running 10.9.5, all images opening black from LR 6.1.

Your fix here solved the problem so thanks for that Matt.

Great, that's really interesting to discover! :) You're doing nothing at all wrong and I wouldn't advise you to change your methods at all - if you're happy with your existing process then please carry on. We will be able to release an update that fixes the problem for you, but I think we can probably fix Affinity right now on your machine if you wanted to try something?

If you open Affinity Photo then right-click its icon in the dock and choose 'Options'->'Show in Finder' then Finder will open showing your currently installed Affinity Photo's location. Now close Affinity Photo. Now right-click the Affinity Photo icon in Finder and choose 'Show Package Contents'. Go into the 'Resources' folder inside there and search for 'ProPhoto.icc' and move it to trash. Now empty the trash.

When you next start Affinity Photo, I think it should always work...

I'm really sorry about that - we'll endeavour to get this fixed as soon as possible. I wonder if this is also happening to uncle808us?

Matt

What about the type entry problem only caused by the new versions of Photo and Design the old versions do not cause this. And I've never had this problem untill I downloaded them. I need a fix.