You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

affinity photo - corrupted file

Hi you all,

a strange bug has just happened. I attach the screenshot.

I was modifying a photo with the app, there were some layers, some adjustments (light, exposure); but the file was not that big, the layers were less than 10. It suddenly closed, and opening it I receive that message of error.
It does not give to me the possibility to modify the afphoto file. I lost the whole job. Is there a way to have a backup file or something else? why this happened?

Thank you

Screenshot_6.jpg

Sorry to hear this happened. I don't know if the file can be recovered. Could you upload the file, so maybe one of the Devs or members can see if it can be recovered?

Where was the file located on your system? What OS, Windows or Mac? Was it on a local drive, external HDD, Flash drive, cloud drive, network drive? The way Affinity apps work, they use mipmaps, which do not fully load the file(s) into RAM. This helps with performance. Therefore, Serif recommends to always work from an internal drive. If there's a hiccup, connection lost with the external source, it can lead to this.

It's important and very good practice, to backup your images immediately when they're downloaded from your camera or flash card. This can be anything from simply copy/pasting the files, to using backup software. I know many pro photographers use a workflow of creating at least 2 backups immediately. One of those are on external drives that are rotated on a regular basis to some off site location. So they have at least 3 files they can rely on if one gets corrupted, or in the event of a system failure, or hard drive failure. The latter does happen. I've lost a couple thousand photos due to a hard drive failure.

What you can also do to help prevent the RAW file from being corrupted, is once you exit the Develop Persona into the Photo Persona, is to immediately do a Save or Save As, and create your afphoto file. You do mention about not being able to modify the afphoto file. Did you already save the document? If so you might also upload that file for the Devs to examine.

Do you have any other photo editing, processing apps? Does Sony (I'm guessing that's a Sony RAW file), provide a proprietary app for developing their RAW files? If so, have you tried opening that file in one of them to see if it is completely corrupt beyond use?

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

HI Ron, thank you for your reply.

Yes, I attach here the file. Please consider that it is covered by copyright, and I ask to the community to gently do not use it for other purposes.

I have windows 10, I was always working in the same PC-system, and unluckily yes into an external SSD on which I daily work.

The "develop" mode was already finished, I opened and closed this .afphoto file several times in Photo system, before the corrupting. On the third? fourth? opening this is the message I received.

Yes I usually do many backups, but sometimes I feel the need to clean before the time... damn to me.

DSC_0424.afphoto

Recovered file is attached

Not sure about the yellow square patch on the wall. Was that there before?

DSC_0424-recovered.afphoto

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.