Sign in to follow this  
Henrik

Artboards

Great to see artboards in Affinity! I love it.

I'm getting some occasional graphical glitches when using them however (see the attached file). This happens at times when I select two artboards and move them around.

Also, the process of setting up artboards is a bit unintuitive in my opinion. This is going to be such a central feature in how I use Affinity that I'd like to see "new artboard" as a toolbar button, rather hidden under the move tool.

Further, it seems odd to me that the original document disappears. What happens to it when I create an artboard? Why do I have have to create a drawable document that then disappears as I start using artboards? I think it would be more intuitive that when the document is created, the drawable space is in actuality an artboard of the desired dimensions.

post-6504-0-62688200-1449671934_thumb.png

Hi Henrik,

Thanks for your feedback.

There's a new checkbox (right below the Document Units dropdown) when you create a new document that automatically creates the artboard for you.

We are aware that there's some rendering glitches in some circumstances. Those will be fixed as we move forward.

Hi Henrik. Not sure about your graphic glitches, the beta seems to work fine, hardware issue? doubt it but you never know.

You can customize the artboard tool to be all by itself on the tool palette. Just go to View>Customize Tools, and drag out the Move and Artboard tool from the left and then reinsert the Move tool and Artboard tool back in from the toolbox. Don't forget that you also have Convert object to Artboard, and vice versa in the Layers menu.

So on the last part you are saying that when you start your document you are starting without it being an artboard, and then you create the artboard after and that's when you see the document disappears? Usually the app will respond correctly by using either method. You should not be seeing documents disappears.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the help! Breaking out the artboard tool certainly helps.

What I meant is that, if I have an "old style" document open and create an artboard, I get an empty artboard, with whatever was in the document floating around in the non-artboard area. If I delete the artboard I created, I'm back in old style mode, and whatever was in the document that I created before creating the artboard may or may not be visible, depending on whether I moved it or not.

This is the part that's counterintuitive to me; I don't really get the relationshop between the old style document and its contents, and the artboards and their content.

For "old style" documents, if you go to the Artboard Tool and click Insert Artboard on the context toolbar (with Document selected in the Size dropdown) it should convert your "old" document into an artboard without moving/changing anything.

Thank you MEB!

Yes, I figured it out. I guess what I'm trying to convey is that maybe the "old style" way is not necessary to keep at all. Does it convey any benefits or differences over having a canvas with a single artboard?

Here is where I've "placed/moved" my artboard tool -- which I recommend should be the default location  :P

post-11616-0-26405000-1449828880_thumb.jpg

• I also feel that artboards should be created automatically from the start -- even if you only going to use 1 artboard
  • The artboard now doesn't show any margins when it's active, ONLY when it's not active -- the margin lines and snapping disappears -- which isn't how it should be working
  • I experience lots of flashing when you zoom and pan - and it's definitely not as silky smooth like it was before artboards was added or if you don't use artboards.
  • At least the artboard is only selectable if you click on the name above it

PS. I do appreciate the app and all the new features you've been adding in a really, really short development cycle.  :D