You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Merging ...dumb it down for me

I'm trying to have the circle and the artistic test become one (merged).  The layers panel shows what I have created.  I tried to pick the group and curves option in the layers panel and ADD but that didn't work.  

Is it the type of object that is now allowing me to merge (and what is the right word in Designe) ?  I thought that group would work with both the circle and texts selected but that didn't do what I thought it would either.  

If there is a good video link as well as an explanation here, that would be awesome.  I would like to really understand this process.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 9.21.42 PM.png

Use Boolean operations: https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/ObjectControl/compound.html

Before the merge operation, hold down Alt, this will make the merge non-destructive and allow you to edit the text and shape. HB.afdesign

10 hours ago, telemax said:

Use Boolean operations: https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/ObjectControl/compound.html

Before the merge operation, hold down Alt, this will make the merge non-destructive and allow you to edit the text and shape.

I am trying to do the add but I'm doing something wrong.  The artistic text and the ellipse were both curves.  I sent the ellipse back one.  When I select add the text disappears.  Thanks.  Trying to learn.  Attaching file.  (will do so in future).

HAPPYBIRTHDAY.afdesign

In order for the instructions above to work you have to:

1) as @G13RL says, select the letters themselves, not the group. In @telemax's example he (?) added straight from the text state which is fine. But you have already converted to curves. (but he/she did something else too. See next)

AND

2) you need to Expand Stroke on the circle. Otherwise it'll disappear when adding. Or, as you've discovered, you will end up with the text with an outline too. If you then switch to just a fill.... well, you'll see.

18 minutes ago, Boldlinedesign said:

@KariF  The boolean operations in Affinity are in need of some serious upgrades and improvements. Merging (Add) especially needs a lot of focus and attention. You may not get the result you want even if you are already using expanded strokes, etc... hopefully this will get addressed in the next release they put out. 

It's likely me and my lack of understanding/experience with the software.  It's very user friendly overall compared to some.  I appreciate the help of the forum.  I do watch the AD videos before asking. 🙂