You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Need of a fonts manager in AD & AP

On 2/4/2022 at 4:59 PM, Wosven said:

Also, the warning about missing fonts should occur when opening a document.

It does occur:

image.png.ffc9fe669a7c9f3fbdb4157c438198a4.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 minutes ago, Wosven said:

You can test with this file:

Thanks. I did, and the warning appeared. I've tried several times, with both 1.10.4 and 1.10.5 beta, and I've always gotten it. No idea why you don't get it, but sounds more like a bug, if you can get it to fail in a reproducible way.

image.png

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

15 minutes ago, Wosven said:

Can you try installing just 1 variant of the font, perhaps it'll make the difference? I have all installed, but the app can't reconize the regular one, and I need to replace it in each file (the bug is with all those files).

Sure, but not for an hour or two (lunch time).

-- Walt
PC:

57 minutes ago, LibreTraining said:

in which the names are broken - and that could be affecting this issue

But shouldn't the warning occur each time there's a missing font? I think so.

And it's about having a font manager in AD & AP, to avoid sending PDF with Arial instead of the real fonts. This happened with another computer and another font, it's not specific to this document or font (mine is version 1.10).

An improvement to the current fonts manager would be to display the versions, like in ID, since using a different one can modify the text in the page... but that's another thread to do. It should even do a warning about different versions of font between the installed one and the one used in the document.

The problem is to not being able to find where the fonts are missing in a document. Especially one done by another, in which you don't know where fonts are used, what it should look like (if the fonts are different enough to notice).

3 hours ago, Wosven said:

Can you try installing just 1 variant of the font, perhaps it'll make the difference? I have all installed, but the app can't reconize the regular one, and I need to replace it in each file (the bug is with all those files).

Good guess! I would call that a bug.

I installed Open Sans Regular from Google Fonts, and now I do not get any font warnings from Designer for that file. Previously, it complained that Regular, Bold, and Light were all missing.

-- Walt
PC:

There is something wrong with that document.
For me, most of the text has no Font Style applied.
The only text which looks right is "PUBLISHER PERSONA SHORTCUTS" which has Light applied.
On all the other text I checked the Font Style is blank.

If the Font Style is blank in a document, should it display a missing fonts error?
That would make sense to call attention to the fonts issues.

I get no missing fonts notices with either version of the fonts.
Original v1.10 (names correct) - no missing fonts notice.
Updated v1.71 (broken names) - no missing fonts notice.
So that guess does not seem to matter.

I wonder what version of the fonts was used to create the document.
Perhaps if the broken names version of the fonts was used to create the doc
then the fonts info in the doc is also in conflict or in error compared to the not-broken fonts.
This could cause confusion when trying to match the fonts.
Also, sometimes it appears that when the font matching gets confused, it does nothing.

Thanks for your help, but half of the posts here should have been in this thread, about the warning not displayed:

It's difficult to know if the problem come from the files, from the differences between apps version or font version, etc. But someone opening the file and not using APub would have a hard time — and long — trying to replace the fonts.

That's why I ask for a Fonts manager in AD and AP.

I'll point to this thread from the bug report.

4 minutes ago, LibreTraining said:

Definitely needed even for that relatively small doc.
A larger more complex document would be a real PITA.

This is already a PITA, since there's no styles, a lot of items in a lot of groups, and even trying to work logically, creating a color palette and styles in a document and importing them, make it a waste of time.

Like needing to reselect each time the missing font in the Fonts manager, before hitting again "localization", before searching in the screen if the selection is visible. Once found, scrolling the Text styles to the one you want... strangely, — and it's certainly a Murphy's Law —, the one you need is at the opposite end of the visible text styles!