You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot change the stroke width

Hi, it happens to me very often and sometimes it makes it completely impossible for me to work. When I want to set the stroke width to a certain size, it does this (see the video). If I want to set the width by typing the number and hit enter, it returns to the previous size where it's stuck. It happens randomly, I haven't noticed any specific procedure that causes it. Sometimes it helps if I go to custom brushes and select one here, then it recovers. I've been working around it like this for a long time, but nothing helps now. Restarting the program usually doesn't help, now even restarting the computer didn't help. I'm totally frustrated with this... I use Windows 10, the latest version of Affinity designer. It does happen in whatever documents I do. Thanks for your help :)

• Staff

Hi @BarusMima,

Thanks for your report!

This isn't an issue I've seen previously, it's certainly interesting to hear this is happening across multiple documents.

Can you please confirm for me;

• What version of Affinity Designer are you using? (This can be found under Help > About)
  • What are you using as a 'pointer device' in the Affinity apps? (ie mouse, trackpad, graphics tablet, etc)
  • What language/locale settings do you have set on your PC? (I note you have commas as the decimal separator and I'd like to check this is not interfering)
  • Are you able to start a new document and reproduce this each time? If so, what exact steps do you take for this? (A screen recording showing the steps would be excellent)

Although you mention this happening in multiple documents, I'd still like to request a copy of this file to see if I can replicate the issue internally. Can you please provide a copy of your file here for me?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi! Thanks for your reply! Awesome :) 

1. I am using AD 1.10.4.1198
  2. I use both mouse and graphic tablet, it happens with both devices. 
  3. The language I have set on my PC is Czech. 
  4. Ok, when it happens again, I'll try to remember what steps I made just before. Maybe I'll be screen recording while working and will wait for this to happen because otherwise I wouldn't be able to capture it. 

Here are some of my latest documents, the problem occured in both of them. koleje - kopie.afdesignThey're both combining bitmap and vector but it does happen also in only vector works. (I cannot upload the other one so you can download it here)

I also have a huge problem with AD crashing when making short quick strokes on pressure controller. I often use handwriting which is exactly the thing where it crashes a lot. If I forget to save the work every couple of seconds, I loose it. As I write, the strokes kind of start to be delayed and distorted. When this happens, I restart the program and it's pretty good for a while. It's a different issue that I would like to address in a separate thread when I collect all the data you would need. But I just want to let you know about everything that occurs in AD when I work in case it could help. Although this doesn't seem to me as something related. 

I really love Affinity so if these bugs get fixed, it will be absolutely perfect :)

• Staff

Many thanks for the document and further information provided!

I've been able to identify the cause of this - as your Vector Brush tool is 'stuck' using the Solid Line Style, which AFAIK isn't designed to be used with this tool -

image.png

If you select the Vector Brush tool and change this setting to Textured Line Style (outlined in green above), you should find the tool returns to normal :)

I've not personally seen this happen before and therefore I'm logging this with our developers to be investigated, as I am certain this tool should not be able to use this Style setting, hence the application does not know how to react once set!

22 hours ago, BarusMima said:

I also have a huge problem with AD crashing when making short quick strokes on pressure controller. I often use handwriting which is exactly the thing where it crashes a lot. If I forget to save the work every couple of seconds, I loose it. As I write, the strokes kind of start to be delayed and distorted. When this happens, I restart the program and it's pretty good for a while. It's a different issue that I would like to address in a separate thread when I collect all the data you would need. But I just want to let you know about everything that occurs in AD when I work in case it could help. Although this doesn't seem to me as something related. 

I'm certainly sorry to hear of this and I'm sure we can investigate further for you. I would recommend navigating to Edit > Preferences > Performance and unticking Hardware Acceleration. Restart the app as prompted and then try editing again - hopefully this reduces the crashing for you, but if not please create a new thread and we'd be happy to investigate this separately for you.

I hope this helps :)

image.png

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 3 weeks later...