You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Extensions for Apple Photos + Video Tutorial

• Staff

Minimum requirements: Affinity Photo 1.4 and Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

To enhance the photo editing capabilities of your Apple Photos application, Affinity Photo makes available a series of ready-to-go extensions:

·  Develop: for processing raw images

·  Haze Removal: for removal of misting

·  Liquify: for image warping

·  Miniature: for depth of field effects

·  Monochrome: for black and white effects

·  Retouch: for traditional brush tools, red eye removal, inpainting, and sharpening

Installing Affinity Photo makes the extensions appear in Photos, which can be selectively disabled if needed. As good practice, we do recommend launching Affinity Photo before using Apple Photos.

To find out more, watch the Extensions for Apple Photos VideoTutorial. 

Best wishes

​Affinity documentation 

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello guys.

Sorry for my little english, I'm french.

I have bought the latest version of Affinity Photo to work on an iMac 5K with Sierra system.

I would like to open my raw photos directly from my Canon EOS 550D, just as I usually done with Adobe Camera Raw extension. I can't do it.

I precise that my camera never mounts as a hard disk volume on the desktop, but Camera Raw nevertheless knows to extract files.

The unique solution I have found to open my raw files is to use Apple Photos application before Affinity Photo.

If I try to open my camera files directly from Affinity Photo (with "open file" command), I can't see nothing. I can see only my Mac hard disk files.

At the beginning of this topic you write it's better to use Affinity Photo before Photos. I agree. But how to do this?  

Thank you for your help.

Guillaume (around Nice, Côte d'Azur)

• Staff

Hi Guillaume06,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The imported RAW files are stored (hidden) inside the Apple Photo's Library (Photos Library.photoslibrary) inside the Pictures folder (in your user folder). 

In Photo 1.4.3 you can either export them from Apple Photos as RAW files to a folder on you drive going to menu File ▸ Export ▸ Export Unmodified Original.... in Apple Photos and then open them in Affinity Photo or use a third party extension called External Editors to do it (it does support sending RAW files too). You are not supposed to access/edit them directly (when managed by Apple Photos) as if they were in a regular folder as this can corrupt the Apple Photo's Library.

Affinity Photo 1.5 (which will be out in a couple weeks) will have a new extension (Edit in Affinity Photo...) that is able to send the RAW file directly from Apple Photos to Affinity Photo. You can already try it if you install the latest Affinity Photo Beta from here.

• Staff

Hi amazme11,

The Fujifilm X-T2 will be supported in Affinity Photo 1.5. If you are using Windows you can install the Public Beta if you are willing to give it a try.

If you own Affinity Photo for Mac you can either wait for the next Mac App Store update (out in a couple weeks, maybe sooner) or install the latest Beta from here. Just remember to keep the Mac App Store version installed in case you decide to install the latest Beta since it's needed to validate/run it.

Hmm. I've bought at Apple's App Store and installed Affinity Photo today. But in Photos.app (version 1.0.1, OSX 10.10.5) the extension menue does not appear as shown in the video tutorial.

What's wrong?

Same problem here. I have Mac Sierra 10.12.1 Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I've tried downloading the beta version of Affinity, and while I can get the "use external editor" buttons to work, and I can get the photos to open in affinity using this method, none of the edits I make in Affinity seem to be transferred or saved back into OS X Photos. Is there a step that I am missing? I've installed the "external editor" plugin from the App store, and I even tried using the "open in" plugin, and neither seems to work. So I have 1/2 the process down, I just can't save my edits back into OS X Photos, like I would like to. Any ideas? 

• Staff

Hi ladrysdale,

Here's the whole workflow in Affinity Photo 1.5 (currently in Beta - it will be out soon) described in detail:

• from the Albums View (in Apple Photos), double-click the thumbnail of the image you want to edit - Apple Photos will display the image View mode 
  • click the Edit Photo button on the top right (second button counting from right) - to enter edit mode (dark background)
  • click the extensions icon on the right (the last one) and select Edit in Affinity Photo
  • Affinity Photo opens with the image loaded ready for editing (RAW files will open in Develop Persona, processed files - JPG's - will open in Photo Persona)
  • edit the RAW/processed image as usual - add new layers adjustments, filters, masks as you see fit
  • go to menu File ▸ Close or close the document tab - Affinity will prompt you to Save the document. Select Save. NOTE: Doing a Save before closing the document will NOT update the image in Apple Photos. We must close the document tab/file in Affinity Photo to update the image in App Photos
  • click Save Changes on the top right of the interface in Apple Photos to save the changes.
  • click Done to revert to View mode in Apple Photos.

NOTE: To create more than one edited version, duplicate the original in Apple Photos right-clicking on its thumbnail (in Albums View) and selecting Duplicate 1 Photo.

• Staff

Greetings,

I have a MacBook pro and am running OS 10.12.1 with OS Sierra.  The extension menu does not appear as shown in the video tutorial.  Please help.  

RD

Hi RGD,

Go to OSX System Preferences, Extensions section and check if you have all Affinity Photo extensions checked on the list on the right. If not check them all. You may have to restart the system for them to appear in Apple Photo's menu.

Thanks MEB. This thread is probably a primer for those of us trying to incorporate Affinity in our regular workflow. At present I have AffP as a nominated editor in Lightroom, but the Apple Photo plugins open new possibilities... What would be really useful here is to understand file management in Apple Photos and how AffP plugins interface with that. Like many people I shoot a combination of jpeg (on iPhone) and RAW and I have yet to entrust RAW development and management to the Apple apps...

Bear with me as I outline some workflow scenarios. Any wisdom on those (in terms of simplification) would be great!

1) Scenario 1 - RAW shooting

I shoot either RAW files of RAW + jpg. In the first case I import all the originals into Lightroom do carry out my file selection/rating. In the second case I use Apple Preview to eyeball the jpegs and then only retain those files that pass the first test.

I like the RAW 'engine' in Lightroom. I have seen the AffP video on RAW development and find it a bit confusing. I suppose I could import my RAW images into Apple Photos but then what happens? Obviously Apple converts these for screen display. If I edit in Photos, is it really work on the RAWs/non destructive? Where does the AffP RAW engine come in?

2) Scenario 2  - First cut in Lightroom, but space for AffP work later

So let's assume I don't want to create very detailed edits but I use Lightroom to lift shadows, crop ,etc. Can I then import the RAW/Sidecar file into Apple Photos. How would the AffP plug ins 'read' the Apple photo file? Again, what is non destructive?

3) Scenario 3  - Deep work in Lightroom using AffP as editor

We're now in the 'large file' space, perhaps working in TIFF. So I use AffP for in depth work. I then export that file into Photos:

- How does Apple handle the file? - Does it create a 'view' jpg?

- What happens when I invoke the AffP plugins? Does AffP 'remember' that the file has been edited in the app? Does it work from the original or from the new view jpg?

Hey, life used to be simpler but had fewer possibilities!

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi hootieuk,

Affinity extensions for Apple Photos work on both El Capitan and Sierra.

If they don't appear for you, go to OS X System Preferences, Extensions section, select Photos on the list on the left and check all Affinity extensions checkboxes on right (see screenshot below).

You may have to reboot the system if they don't appear immediately.

post-59-0-12838700-1482065342_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

Hi ladrysdale,

Here's the whole workflow in Affinity Photo 1.5 (currently in Beta - it will be out soon) described in detail:

• from the Albums View (in Apple Photos), double-click the thumbnail of the image you want to edit - Apple Photos will display the image View mode 
  • click the Edit Photo button on the top right (second button counting from right) - to enter edit mode (dark background)
  • click the extensions icon on the right (the last one) and select Edit in Affinity Photo
  • Affinity Photo opens with the image loaded ready for editing (RAW files will open in Develop Persona, processed files - JPG's - will open in Photo Persona)
  • edit the RAW/processed image as usual - add new layers adjustments, filters, masks as you see fit
  • go to menu File ▸ Close or close the document tab - Affinity will prompt you to Save the document. Select Save. NOTE: Doing a Save before closing the document will NOT update the image in Apple Photos. We must close the document tab/file in Affinity Photo to update the image in App Photos
  • click Save Changes on the top right of the interface in Apple Photos to save the changes.
  • click Done to revert to View mode in Apple Photos.

NOTE: To create more than one edited version, duplicate the original in Apple Photos right-clicking on its thumbnail (in Albums View) and selecting Duplicate 1 Photo.

I am new to Affinity Photo, and to advanced photo editing, and I am experimenting with shooting in RAW.  Having imported my (Nikon) RAW files into Apple Photos, I successfully followed the workflow recommended above to edit my photo in Affinity via the Photos extension, but when I "returned" it to Apple Photos it was still a NEF (i.e. RAW) file.  Can I save it back to Photos as a JPEG, and if so how?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

What about 1.5.1? I still can't get the keyboard commands to work! Is there anything special that I am missing? I know keyboard commands but this is driving me bonkers!

Use the Alt/option key, some Mac keyboards have the symbol others don't.