You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A very difficult path selection

Hi there,

maybe this was spotted before.

I'm experiencing a sort of "offset" selecting paths/strokes which are very hard to pick now. Sometimes the click+drag seems to hit a ghost bounding box... Just as strokes are "closer" to the arrow. It looks like the selection is acting in another reference system and what I see is not what I get.

This is a short video which maybe explains better the odd behaviour.

Sometimes it is almost impossible to grab the one I want, the only way is to dig deep into layers...

I noticed that this is very evident with multiple artboards and mapped strokes.

Cheers,

Paolo

Affinity Designer 1.10.4

macOS 12.1

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

Edit...

I noticed that holding CRTL while dragging allows me to have a better precision for selection... Maybe I'm dumb and this is a wanted feature?

So Click+Drag for wide range and CTRL+Click+Drag for narrow range?

Or maybe am I selecting in a different direction? From back to front using CTRL?

2 hours ago, paolo.limoncelli said:

I noticed that this is very evident with multiple artboards and mapped strokes.

I'm not familiar with the term "mapped strokes", Paulo. Can you explain what you mean by that, please? 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm not familiar with the term "mapped strokes", Paulo. Can you explain what you mean by that, please? 

By mapped strokes I mean vector brushes created with the Texture Intensity option.

Basically these are rasters mapped along a path.

Thanks, that makes sense. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Wosven said:

Nowaday, I use the Path/mesh view to select objects when it's difficult or when some layers are locked, and reset to normal view to check when modifying them.

Nice drawing :)

Thanks. Yes I do the very same and there all works as intended, this makes me think that something is going wrong with the final "rendering"...

1 hour ago, stokerg said:

Hi @paolo.limoncelli,

Could you upload the afdesign file shown in your screen recording to our private Dropbox here and i'll take a look at this.

I'm sure i've seen this issue before but can't remember what the cause of it was.  

Thank you.

The file has been uploaded. I noticed that with single artboard things are slightly better.

But the offset is definitely there...

Also with Path View things work as expected.

• Staff
26 minutes ago, paolo.limoncelli said:

The file has been uploaded. I noticed that with single artboard things are slightly better.

Thanks for the file.

I've ran past our QA team are they are sure this is caused by a combination of the textured strokes and also the pressure profile not being 100%.  It appears the selection bound is treating the objects as having 100% pressure which would make hidden areas clickable and as these strokes are transparent, you are able to select them by clicking in what appears to be an empty area.  Also when you noticed you able to make selection by holding hold the Control key, this just enables you to select an object without having to drag the selection box over the entire object.  There is an option to enable this by default in Preferences>Tools and tick the box 'Select objects when intersects with selection marquee'.

I'm going to get an improvement logged for working with these type of objects, as i can see it being a problem when you have a large number of these.

It appears the selection bound is treating the objects as having 100% pressure which would make hidden areas clickable and as these strokes are transparent, you are able to select them by clicking in what appears to be an empty area. 

Thanks, exactly but not only this... The "hidden" selection box is a lot bigger than the rendered one, bigget than 100% pressure.

it being a problem when you have a large number of these

Also with very few ones... Please, check this video

I've reset pressure to 100% and I'm still clicking far from the stroke (one stroke in that area) and I can move it.

Thank you again!

😀