Hauptsache man versteht den Begriff, oder?

Nein. Dann könnte man auch sagen, das Aussehen einer Sache sei egal, Hauptsache, sie funktioniert. So läuft das Leben aber nicht, es ist mehr als bloße Funktion. Ästhetik spielt eine große Rolle darin, wie und warum sich Menschen wohlfühlen und was sie glücklich macht oder das Gegenteil bewirkt, und ob sie eine Sache gern verwenden oder nicht. Gerade als Designer/Kreative und Nutzer einer Design-/Kreativsoftware sollte man nicht nachlässig sein, wenn es darum geht, Dinge zu gestalten – und dazu zählt auch die Sprache. Und gestalten ist nicht gleichzusetzen mit verunstalten.

The term "Persona" can't properly translated into German (there's no direct equivalent for it with the exact/ a matching meaning). Nonetheless the terms can be properly "Germanified", I probably would translate it to something like that:

Draw Persona: Zeichnen-Persona

Export Persona: Export-Persona

Pixel Persona: Pixel-Persona

Photo Persona: Foto-Persona

Develop Persona: Entwicklung-Persona

Liquify Persona: Verflüssigen-Persona

"artboard" is also very tricky. A direct literal translation ("Kunstbrett") makes no sense. One probably needs to find an alternative term that has a matching meaning, perhaps "Grafikbrett" or simply "Tafel" could do, but sounds slightly strange too. Personally I probably would go for "Grafikteiler" oder "Unterteiler".

Anyway... just recommendations. I translated quite some applications to German (albeit on a different operating system), so I got a little bit experience how tricky it can be sometimes to do a proper German translation and avoiding wrong direct English transliteration. :)  Since this often goes wrong in many apps I simply use everything in English to keep me sane... also saves some screen real estate. :D

3D and 2D hobby(art)ist. You can follow me on Twitter: @binaryriot or Instagram: binaryriot

Hi everybody,

in my opinion, there are indeed linguistic reasons not to use the term “ArtBoard” as a German equivalent of the technical term “artboard,” that is used in the English version of the software. I believe there is some agreement about the fact that camel case words like “BahnCard” belong to the language of advertisement in German usage, and it is remarkable that they are used in contexts where new or original products are being promoted. So when the German reader comes up against the term “ArtBoard” in a certain context, he will be lead to the conclusion that the entities that bear this name are something new and original, which would amount, to put it bluntly, to a rather odd pretension. As a matter of fact, artboards constitute a well-known concept and are very unlike “BahnCards” or “MacBooks,” regardless of their actual implementation (which might be exceptional, advanced, or different from their implementation in other apps). So this consideration alone should be a good argument for replacing the present translation.

On the other hand, I don’t believe it would make sense to demand translations for everything. The concept of “Personas” is indeed unique for the range of the Affinity application, so I believe one could make a case for not translating the English phrases in the German localisation (though I find the suggestions of tokai not unappealing in that special case).

Kind regards, Alex  :)

"artboard" is also very tricky. A direct literal translation ("Kunstbrett") makes no sense. One probably needs to find an alternative term that has a matching meaning, perhaps "Grafikbrett" or simply "Tafel" could do, but sounds slightly strange too. Personally I probably would go for "Grafikteiler" oder "Unterteiler".

I just read the (English) documentation about Artboards. It uses the term "discrete design areas" to describe the Artboards. I think that would make a good candidate for the German translation: "getrennte Designbereiche" bzw. "separate Designbereiche" (it's less flashy than "Artboards", of course. :) )

3D and 2D hobby(art)ist. You can follow me on Twitter: @binaryriot or Instagram: binaryriot