You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What makes layers take so long to get updated?

@Dan C Thanks for staying with me and sorry for late reply.

I did some testing...

• Interestingly, I was unable to reproduce the issue on my previous system (laptop only with no external monitors).
  • I was also unable to reproduce the issue when running my current machine in Safe Mode.
  • However, trying to kill all sorts of random processes and applications did not solve the issue. The issue was still present.

After this I tried to move Affinity Designer to my secondary monitor and the issue was gone, unable to reproduce it even once! (It is also hard to reproduce if large portion of the canvas is on the secondary monitor, but cursor is still on the primary monitor, clicking on layers...it is not about cursor position anyway, it also happens when I am changing canvas using keyboard, eg. pressing shortcut to show/hide Rullers...)

My setup looks like this:

1. Primary monitor (LG): LG 27GL850 (144 Hz, G-Sync compatible) connected over Display Port
  2. Secondary monitor (Philips): PHL 274E5 (60 Hz) connected over DVI (but plugged into GPU as HDMI...probably doesn't matter)

It seems to me like the GPU or the Display Port interface is manipulating with what app gets refreshed. Really odd behavior, but I already know that if you turn the Display Port-connected screen off, it will also completely disconnect from system like if you would unplug it, so we know that Display Port has more features than just transferring picture...

Yes, I guess Display Fusion is also a suspect. I tried to completely turn it off and all it's processes but it didn't help. I also tried to turn it on on my laptop but it didn't cause any issues there. The only thing that remains is to try to uninstall it, which I would like to avoid, because I want to avoid setting it up again...

To answer your questions:

- Yes, Display Fusion was also installed on my previous computer, but now it still is and I can't reproduce it. However the two external screens were connected to that laptop before.

- Yes, I am using drawing tablet from Wacom, connected over Bluetooth. Killing it's software did nothing and it was also turned off anyway.

Hope this helps!

UPDATE:

image.thumb.jpeg.62c60e9cb1f2e7e926ada424a8d7ccc6.jpeg

Turning OFF the Adaptive-Sync feature of my LG moved the issue to the Philips screen (it also moved all my windows and desktop icons to that screen. In Windows settings I can see it made it Primary (main)). I could no longer reproduce it on the LG screen but It was now happening on the Philips one.

So now we know that the issue travels with PRIMARY monitor!

• Staff

No problem at all, many thanks for all the further information provided, this is certainly helpful!

On 6/10/2022 at 6:52 PM, Raptosauru5 said:

I was also unable to reproduce the issue when running my current machine in Safe Mode

I tried to move Affinity Designer to my secondary monitor and the issue was gone, unable to reproduce it even once!

Turning OFF the Adaptive-Sync feature of my LG moved the issue to the Philips screen (it also moved all my windows and desktop icons to that screen. In Windows settings I can see it made it Primary (main)). I could no longer reproduce it on the LG screen but It was now happening on the Philips one.

So now we know that the issue travels with PRIMARY monitor!

If the issue doesn't happen when in Safe Mode & follows the 'Primary' monitor within Windows then this would almost assuredly point to third party software interfering with Affinity being the cause of this.

I believe DisplayFusion Pro to be the cause of this, and I would recommend uninstalling this app to confirm - however I do understand your hesitation here.

If you wish instead, can you provide me with a list of all installed apps on your machine? I assume DisplayFusion to be the cause, but it may be another standalone app causing this, or an app in conjunction with DisplayFusion :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

@Dan C so, I uninstalled Display Fusion and I was pretty sure this was going to resolve it, but the problem is still there. I am thinking if this isn't some sort of bad display driver or something?

I would also send you a list of my applications, but the list is huge (mostly games, haha). Is there an easy way to print them all out into a text file or something?

• Staff

I'm certainly sorry to hear this hasn't helped - as I too was sure this was the cause of the issue you're seeing!

13 hours ago, Raptosauru5 said:

I am thinking if this isn't some sort of bad display driver or something?

It's possible this is caused by a driver, though I would be surprised it would not affect both monitors and not just the Primary monitor, however I've definitely seen unexplainable oddities with drivers previously so I think that a clean installation of graphics drivers is a good idea.

You can find the latest driver for your card here - 

https://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/driverResults.aspx/189690/en-uk

Please follow the below 'Clean Install' options, when installing the driver -

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-gb/help/connectivity-and-performance/article/clean-installation-of-nvidia-drivers/000063728

After completing this, restart your PC and try in Affinity once again.

If you're still experiencing the issue following this, then we can try a Selective Startup, to disable any non-essential Startup items.

To do this, please:

1. Open Windows Run (Windows Key + R)
  2. Type msconfig and hit enter
  3. Go to the Services tab
  4. Click Hide all Microsoft services
  5. Click Disable all (Then manually re-enable any GPU options such as AMD, NVIDIA and Intel)
    Now anything non-essential should be prevented from running on the next boot
  6. Reboot & launch Affinity

Please do let me know if this helps & many thanks for your continued patience & understanding here :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Thanks for helpful tips.

After Clean-reinstalling the Nvidia drivers the issue is gone! However, it came back as I set all my previous settings.

I tested the switches one by one. 

Turns out the Vertical Sync set to Fast was the problem! Having it on Off or Application Controlled fixed the issue.

Yay!

This was quite a process to find out. I have no idea how was I supposed to find out without actually toggling all the settings manually! :D Apparently, I still do not fully understand how Vertical Sync works. 

Thanks a lot for your patience @Dan C, your assistance was extremely helpful!

(You guys probably want to override this setting for Affinity products to prevent this from happening to other users. It makes this awesome software feel glitchy / unstable.)

vertical sync.png

• Staff

That's wonderful news, I'm certainly glad to hear we've been able to identify the cause of this!

I'll be sure to pass this information through to the team here, as this isn't an issue we've come across previously and can assuredly help us resolve similar reports in the future.

No problem at all, I'm more than happy to help and should you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask/start a new thread as required :)

Please note -

Many thanks!