You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Expanding Stroke, strokes are changing

I exported my image as a PDF and it completely screwed my strokes up, because Affinity is a buggy mess. I decided to expand my strokes and to try it again. My strokes have pressure on it (I used the Vector Brush Tool) and now I have to deal with another bug, which thins my strokes and does a few other things...Does anyone knows a work around this? Rasterizing is out of option, it has to be a vector image. I found a tip here about changing size variance in brush editor but that doesn't work either.

CIRo8SoX8l.png

• Staff

Hi @Artcraft,

Sorry to see you're having trouble!

I'd like to request a copy of your .afdesign file to investigate this further for you - can you please provide a copy of this here for me?

If you'd like a private upload link for this file instead, please don't hesitate to ask :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

5 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi @Artcraft,

Sorry to see you're having trouble!

I'd like to request a copy of your .afdesign file to investigate this further for you - can you please provide a copy of this here for me?

If you'd like a private upload link for this file instead, please don't hesitate to ask :)

Hi, it's a non-paid job, for the Scout Movement, so I guess it's okay to upload the file. I'm now redoing everything in illustrator, since I can't export the file in any given format without having the strokes to weird out. Expanding the strokes and exporting the image seems to share the same issue.

bibber4.afdesign

Just had a look at the file - pretty serious bug, I have a couple of jobs coming up that would need this - damn - looks like I'll have to do the line work in VectorStyler at least there's a proper line width tool that's pretty accurate - what's going on? 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

16 hours ago, Artcraft said:

Hi, it's a non-paid job, for the Scout Movement, so I guess it's okay to upload the file. I'm now redoing everything in illustrator, since I can't export the file in any given format without having the strokes to weird out. Expanding the strokes and exporting the image seems to share the same issue.

bibber4.afdesign 1.61 MB · 6 downloads

The issue is probably caused by using curves, vector brush with pressure profiles. These layers get expanded when exported, and the expanded curve is not exact, deviates in width from the original.

I put both (original and SVG) of the affected part into one document, and recolored the original to a pink color.

PS:

when you manually expand stroke, you get another deviating version (too narrow, but slightly different curve) from the result via svg export.

So probably expand stroke has an issue when curves with pressure profiles are expanded.

maybe related:

9283C782-4832-427B-B4B8-8BF5B0B3E996.thumb.png.33812908dcdda0568953526fe1ee0f16.png

3C93E3A2-28DE-496C-82EE-88B35BFC6D2B.png

biber 4 bug.afdesign

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

On 2/4/2022 at 6:58 PM, Dazmondo77 said:

Just had a look at the file - pretty serious bug, I have a couple of jobs coming up that would need this - damn - looks like I'll have to do the line work in VectorStyler at least there's a proper line width tool that's pretty accurate - what's going on? 

22 hours ago, BarusMima said:

Also struggling with this a lot.... Also while exporting into SVG. I don't know if I can longer use Affinity for my professional work because of it :( 

I dug around, this issue seems to be present since 2017 and/or earlier, so there wont be a fix anytime soon. It's really bad since it's one important key feature when working with vector graphics and makes this program actually unusable. :| It's fine if you end up with raster graphics anyway but I need vector graphics. I will have to stick with illustrator until this is solved... I hope they will solve it, has been over 5 years now.

On 2/4/2022 at 5:06 AM, Artcraft said:

我将我的图像导出为 PDF,它完全搞砸了我的笔画,因为 Affinity 是一团糟。 我决定扩大我的笔画并再次尝试。 我的笔触有压力(我使用了矢量画笔工具),现在我必须处理另一个错误,它会使我的笔触变细并做其他一些事情......有人知道解决这个问题吗? 光栅化是不可能的,它必须是矢量图像。 我在这里找到了关于在画笔编辑器中更改大小变化的提示,但这也不起作用。

CIRo8SoX8l.png

I seem to have encountered this problem before. Here is an idea to try;

1128153460_.png.9f8b10547ddfae90aa62d056387777dc.png

Is anyone paying attention to the brush? It's also a bug a few years ago and hasn't been repaired

Above post has highlighted the cause and workaround = for more accurate expanded strokes ALWAYS SET SIZE VARIANCE TO 100% = size variance does not work, which is probably why this problem has never effected me on similar jobs, as I always use the pressure sensitivity curve to set the end of the stroke thickness, which seems to be the workaround (not another workaround!?!?!?!) see attached vid screen grab  

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• Staff
On 2/5/2022 at 7:43 AM, NotMyFault said:

The issue is probably caused by using curves, vector brush with pressure profiles. These layers get expanded when exported, and the expanded curve is not exact, deviates in width from the original.

I can confirm this is the issue affecting the document provided, and as mentioned by other members this issue is already logged with our developers.

I'll be sure to raise this with them once again, as I certainly understand the adverse effects this issue can cause and I offer our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences in the meantime.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 1 year later...

This is a serious issue - hope there will be an easier solution soon.

My work around to save your current work is to do the following:

Make a copy of your working file as a backup.
Do a test line stroke in the same document- 
Convert all stroke weight to make it slightly thicker and then expand stroke.
eg 1.2pt becomes 1.8pt
Once you get the thickness you need -- slight all the affected strokes and expand the paths.
You can set the desired expanded stroke as a style to quickly change all the lines for stroke expansion. 

Check all expanded strokes in the document again to make sure conversion is good with no weird glitches or artifacts.

Hope this is of help