You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Images with shadow/light adjust in CMYK document export burned on RGB PDF

Hello.

When exporting to RGB PDF from a CMYK document with images with shadow/light adjustment, the final result in PDF is burned images. Exporting to X1A or any other CMYK setting works well. It seems like an error on converting to RGB.

I've attached the Publisher document and the incorrect pdf export.

Steps to reproduce:

• Insert image, trim it and apply a shadow/light correction adjustment (Tried both linked an embedded)
  • Export to cmyk pdf: exports correctly
  • Export to RGB pdf: images appear extremely burned.

rgb export.pdf rgb export issue.afpub

It seems shadow & highlight adjustment is not adapted to CMYK model. It increases the brightness of lighter pixels, which gets opposite effect in case of CMYK subtractive color model.

As a workaround, you could use exposure adjustment, and use blend range to limit its impact to the brighter parts.

Can't say if the behaviour of S&H is a bug or by design.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• Staff

Hi @Daniel Gibert,

Thanks for your report!

I believe the application is behaving as expected here - the image files you have placed are RGB, in a CMYK document. When exporting to an RGB PDF, the adjustments are applied to the image after the colour conversion. Meaning your RGB images are converted to CMYK in the app for preview, then 'unconverted' (so to speak) when you export to RGB PDF.

The same results can be seen if you copy and paste the image layer from your CMYK document to an RGB document - with your adjustment at 200% value, the image is blown out in RGB -

image.png

I hope this clears things up :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 2/3/2022 at 3:02 PM, Dan C said:

Hi @Daniel Gibert,

Thanks for your report!

I believe the application is behaving as expected here - the image files you have placed are RGB, in a CMYK document. When exporting to an RGB PDF, the adjustments are applied to the image after the colour conversion. Meaning your RGB images are converted to CMYK in the app for preview, then 'unconverted' (so to speak) when you export to RGB PDF. 

The same results can be seen if you copy and paste the image layer from your CMYK document to an RGB document - with your adjustment at 200% value, the image is blown out in RGB -

image.png

I hope this clears things up :)

Hi Dan C. Thanks for the information.

I understand the process and now I know what to expect. Anyway, this is a horrible behaviour for the PDF output, because it destroys completely the WYSIWYG. If Publisher is able to calculate a CMYK preview, and export a correct CMYK PDF for that adjusted RGB image, it should also be able to correctly convert to RGB that same CMYK output. (And viceversa) This is something that is could have a good improvement on the future.

I'll cope with it, but i find it somehow wrong. Fortunately is something that does not happen frequently on the type of work I do. Rarely apply color correction directly as adjust in Publisher, I normally process the images in photo persona. Just a case on which I needed to do it as layer adjust and export on RGB and CMYK. 

Thanks for explaining it anyway.

6 hours ago, Daniel Gibert said:

this is a horrible behaviour for the PDF output, because it destroys completely the WYSIWYG. If Publisher is able to calculate a CMYK preview, and export a correct CMYK PDF for that adjusted RGB image, it should also be able to correctly convert to RGB that same CMYK output.

It has nothing to do with PDF export. It is related to different color spaces, as colors also visually change if you switch your layout document's color space from RGB to CMYK or vice versa, some colors more obvious, others less. Especially for color affecting adjustments or filters I would not expect an identical appearance in RGB versus CMYK, like I would not for certain Layer Blend Modes, too. Their different appearance is sort of 'wanted' to get additive vs subtractice colours handled, respectively CMYK 3 channels + 1 Back merged to 3 channels RGB. – WYSIWYG is not meant to eliminate this differences between color spaces.

588562061_shadowhighlightadjustment1-3.thumb.jpg.4bee53cd1368ca90d1c341b6ece447d7.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1