You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem with Level adjustment realtime clipping preview for individual channels vs. Master

jmliss

I am using 1.10.4 on iMAC Catalina. The level help page seems to imply that realtime clipping preview works on any channel as per the below snippet. What I found was that it doesn't work, say on any of the R, G, B channels, unless first a level was modified on the Master. This is repeatable and explains why some you tubers first level Master, then the individual channels so that realtime clipping preview works. Having said that, the actual level adjustment does change if first doing a R, G, or B, just the realtime clipping preview does not seem to work -> confusion.

Settings

The following settings can be adjusted:
  • Select a color mode from the first pop-up menu.
  • Specify a single color channel to apply the adjustment to, including the layer's alpha channel. Master (the default choice) applies the adjustment to all channels. Select from the second pop-up menu.
  • Black Level—determines the range of pixels in the image considered to be pure black. Drag the slider to the right to include pixels in the range (thereby increasing shadows), drag to the left to exclude pixels (thereby reducing shadows).
  • White Level—determines the range of pixels in the image considered to be pure white. Drag the slider to the left to include pixels in the range (thereby increasing highlights), drag to the right to exclude pixels (thereby reducing highlights).
  • Gamma—determines the distribution of mid-tone pixels in the image. Enter a gamma value or drag the slider to the left to redistribute pixels towards the black point, drag to the right to redistribute towards the white point.
  • Output Black Level—remaps the output level of absolute black. Moving the slider to the right makes the image look more pale and washed out.
  • Output White Level—remaps the output level of absolute white. Moving the slider to the left lessens the intensity of highlights in the image.
To create a negative-style (inverted) image, position the Black Level slider further to the right than the White Level.
Holding the   whilst modifying the Black Level or White Level provides a realtime clipping preview.

• Staff

Hi @jmliss,

Thanks for your report!

I can confirm I've been able to replicate this issue here and it is already logged with our developers as a bug - therefore I have 'bumped' this issue with them now and updated the log to include the latest release versions.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 11 months later...
  • Staff

Welcome to the Affinity Forums @jennifilm :)

Thanks for confirming that for me, I'll be sure to update the development log regarding this now!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!