You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dragging a photo into a AfPhoto file

What's the orientation of the photo before dragging it into AP? Is the image shot in Landscape (horizontal) or portrait (vertical)?

Have you tried using File>Open instead of drag-n-drop? Does the same thing happen?

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

I wonder if this is a Mac thing. I've tried this with some of my images and they all appear in the AP (Windows) document correctly.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

What format is the file you are dragging into AP (JPEG, PNG, something else)? Are you dragging from a folder or from another app, like Apple Photos?

Also, can you attach to a reply a sample of the type of file that has this problem so others can test with it?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The file is a JPG from my iPhone 7. Shot portrait. I drag it from a folder on my desktop into an opened AF file.

I tried this myself: I removed the metadata from the photo. Now it does NOT turn when dragging it into a AF file. (?)

Still a bit awkward to remove this data first every time I to want to drag a photo.

IMG_0016.jpeg

• Staff
13 hours ago, K2000 said:

The file is a JPG from my iPhone 7. Shot portrait. I drag it from a folder on my desktop into an opened AF file.

I tried this myself: I removed the metadata from the photo. Now it does NOT turn when dragging it into a AF file. (?)

This is a known issue and the same happens if you use File>Place, the EXIF rotation tag is ignored.  You don't need to remove the EXIF before dragging the image, once you've dragged the image into Affinity you can use the Rotate options on the Document Menu to rotate it.

I've just updated the report with a link back to this thread, so we can update you when its resolved :) 

This  is similar to the issue when using Topaz and other plugins which seem to ignore the EXIF rotate tag. The workaround here seems to be to Rasterize the image first, but this will not help the OP!

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630