You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1 hour ago, Michael S Harvey said:

made available for free. 

It's not free, really. Serif would need to purchase a license in order to include it in their products, and the license fees are not disclosed on that site.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Michael S Harvey said:

Probably needs posting on the Affinity Photo for Ipad forum too.

No, probably doesn't. If Serif considers adding it, they will consider it for all three platforms.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Just tried this feature in last Rebelle version.   Not a big difference  really.      Rebelle is nice natural media  simulator indeed , well ahead of Corel Painter.    But the purpose of such simulators  always eluded me. 

For a digital art who cares if it resembles  traditional  one or not.  It's still digital and  your skills never  translate to actual watercolor or oil/canvas .   

For  sketches and illustrations   Photoshop is totally ok  and such  things like Rebelle are so lacking in basic  compositing  tools, non-destructive anything    it looks like just a toy to please uself sometimes  to recollect your  art student years  decades ago.

52 minutes ago, kirk23 said:

Just tried this feature in last Rebelle version.   Not a big difference  really.      Rebelle is nice natural media  simulator indeed , well ahead of Corel Painter.    But the purpose of such simulators  always eluded me. 

For a digital art who cares if it resembles  traditional  one or not.  It's still digital and  your skills never  translate to actual watercolor or oil/canvas .  

You make very good points. I suppose it is just nice to have the option for realistic pigment mixing on digital platforms to widen the gamut of the digital artists arsenal of techniques and maximise his or her productivity. Maybe less necessary on a photo app but for things like designer where such touches may be useful and for pixel art then it would be a welcome addition.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2022 at 11:54 PM, walt.farrell said:

It's not free, really. Serif would need to purchase a license in order to include it in their products, and the license fees are not disclosed on that site.

It's called investing, and it's an easy win. Rebelle is hardly a needle mover in digital paint software, but they seem to be able to afford it, so my guess is the licence is cheap.

23 minutes ago, LCamachoDesign said:

Rebelle is hardly a needle mover in digital paint software, but they seem to be able to afford it, so my guess is the licence is cheap.

Escape Motions – who develop Rebelle – worked closely with Secret Weapons to create Mixbox so there’s probably a good chance that they got a very favourable deal, that’s if they didn’t just get it for free for helping them out.

See: https://scrtwpns.com/mixbox.pdf
Quote: “To prove our approach viable, we collaborated with Escape Motions who integrated our mixing method into their painting software Rebelle.”

Not all licencing agreements are equal.

I suppose Serif could program their own implementation, implementing the equations listed in the PDF and the video. Assuming some of their programmers are able to handle the mathematical wizardry. Now I realize why computer scientists need their mathematical qualifications

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I was amazed when I got Rebelle 5 and its new pigment mode.

I then discovered a few days ago that Affinity Photo already had that feature - unless I am missing something obvious.

Ex:

1) take an oil brush (Impressionist Oil works pretty well)

2) set tool as mixer brush

3) make sure mode is "YRB"

4) Pure blue + pure yellow will yield green.

A game changer to me.

Regards,

Philippe

1 hour ago, philippe martin said:

Hi,

I was amazed when I got Rebelle 5 and its new pigment mode.

I then discovered a few days ago that Affinity Photo already had that feature - unless I am missing something obvious.

Ex:

1) take an oil brush (Impressionist Oil works pretty well)

2) set tool as mixer brush

3) make sure mode is "YRB"

4) Pure blue + pure yellow will yield green.

A game changer to me.

Regards,

Philippe

Subtractive colour models are an improvement but the new technique allows for simulation of pigments and their textures in real paints giving it the edge