You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dale

---------------------------------------------

[edit]

This thread was originally about 1.4 updates in December 2015. The team have now also released 1.4.1 updates on Jan 20th 2016, incremental patches to squash some bugs—visit your App Store to update now!

Read a little more about 1.4.1 updates.

[/edit]

---------------------------------------------

Hi all

As many of you will know after seeing numerous beta versions over the last few months, our dev team have been working very hard and we're delighted to share the fruit of their labour with everyone! Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo both have new 1.4 updates available now in the Mac App Store, free to existing customers!

And to celebrate these updates, both apps are now on a 20% discount offer to entice new customers, bringing the normal price of US$49.99/€49.99/£39.99 down to US$39.99/€39.99/£29.99 for one week, ending December 15th. Here's a little taste of what's new in both apps...

• Full support for DCI-P3 extended gamut iMac displays
  • Pro printing including PDF/X and Pantone support
  • Custom keyboard shortcuts
  • More languages

And a look at what's in Affinity Photo:

• Six extensions for Apple Photos on El Capitan
  • Pro image stitching in new Panorama persona
  • Live image stacks

And Affinity Designer:

• Artboards!
  • Custom rotation centre
We've packed in plenty more too, more than some devs would add in paid upgrades :) There is also improved PSD compatibility, updated RAW support, improved typography, Split Screen on El Cap, workflow and performance improvements—all across both apps.

Visit your Mac App Store update page to get your hands on the good stuff and see what else has been added in the 1.4.1 incremental updates.

As always there is useful info on the Mac App Store pages for Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo and you can check out the overview videos on our blog. Thanks guys, you've knocked it out the park yet again!

Thanks for reading, Dale.

Twitter: @Writer_Dale
Affinity apps run on: Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB RAM, GTX1650 Super

The videos are great.  Definitely make you want to buy if you didn't already own both.  The only drawback I found was the soundtrack for Affinity Photo.  The voices in the background in a couple of places was quite distracting.  I found myself paying more attention to what I was hearing than what I was seeing.  I wound up playing the video again with the sound muted.  Of course, I'm prolly just an oddball in that too.  But I'm definitely not an oddball in loving the new updates.  Great job, guys!

I am using OSX 10.9.5 and have just installed the 1.4 update from the Apple Mac Store. It says it has installed but my version remains as 1.3.5. I have tried restarting my computer but this made no difference.  What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks

Peter

I've now uninstalled 1.3.5 and reinstalled 1.4 and that's solved the problem. No idea what was wrong .

Looks fantastic - I'm going to enjoy exploring it.

Congratulations to the team !

Wonderful upgrades, thank you!!

...any idea when the iPad versions might be ready? Even a rough estimate?

Cannot wait for the day I can wave goodbye to adobe and have your cross platform professional apps to use instead.

It's been a long time coming, but I'm looking forward to the future!!

Great work,

Garry 

Affinity Photo is wonderful, and the Photo extensions are the best in the market. Thank you very much for this wonderful update.

- The Photo extensions raise the value of Apple Photos a lot by adding lots of missing functionality.

- I would love it when Photo would accept the Affinity file format natively with all the layers and non-distructive elements.

Thank you!

Best regards

BlauerClaus

Great upgrade! I've been doing the tutorials and really digging this software. Have been telling everyone I know who uses a mac and photoshop that they should give it a whirl.

Regarding the new capability to choose your RAW engine... my choices are Serif and Apple RAW core. I tried both and can't really tell any difference visually or with speed. Is there any advantages of one over the other?

Hi skiphunt,

The RAW engines can't be changed on the fly. So after you change it, you must open the image again to see the differences.

Ok. I tried again. As a test I made all the same settings with it set to serif/apply tone curve. Exported out a jpg. Then changed it to apple/apple tone curve. Closed. Reopened AP, then opened the RAW file again and applied exact same settings. Then export jpg to compare each. 

Seems serif was a more aggressive tone curve that improved overall look. But apple did a better job at retaining detail with less aggressive noise reduction and slightly sharper detail. 

AP appeared to do a better job at correcting lens distortion.

I know that's not very scientific. 

Is there one that should be better than the other? Or, is it just personal preference?

Hi. I bought Affinity Photo on July of this year and I was impressed for the quality and power of this app. I kept using Photoshop for panorama stitches and other minor issues, as AF gave me all I needed. Now, with this new update I think I can erase PS from my MBP and I will not miss it. Congratulations for your work. This app is just amazing.

And now, I have the opportunity to buy Affinity Designer with a discount, something I did not some months ago... As soon as I arrive my home I will purchase it too.

Bye

Cecilio

Hi,

I just downloaded affinity v1.4 from the app store . The price listed was at a 20% discount in Australia which comes to $62.99.

The issue is that I didn't get charged for the app ? It downloaded and it opens. I have not played around yet, but I am concerned.

How do I pay  as I don't some message in a few weeks time saying I need to pay and the 20% is no longer available  ?

Thanks in advance, Solo

Now, here’s another vote for a non-App-Store version of Affinity software: There is no update check or alert inside the application. Apparently it’s only done via the App Store, and you have to be permanently logged in there in order to get notice of an update.

I hate the thought that Apple is controlling what software I’m using and how I’m using it.

Hi,

I just downloaded affinity v1.4 from the app store . The price listed was at a 20% discount in Australia which comes to $62.99.

The issue is that I didn't get charged for the app ? It downloaded and it opens. I have not played around yet, but I am concerned.

How do I pay  as I don't some message in a few weeks time saying I need to pay and the 20% is no longer available  ?

Thanks in advance, Solo

Hi, your iTunes account (apple ID) is charged the same way you are purchasing music. I think you have received a mail from them by now.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Hi,

Thanks in advance, Solo

Hi there, I think I replied to you yesterday by email. You will have bought the app if you got it from the App Store, as the free trial is only available from our website. You can check your purchases in the Mac App Store, just fire it up and look at the Purchased page.

HTH, Dale.

Twitter: @Writer_Dale
Affinity apps run on: Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB RAM, GTX1650 Super