You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello all,

Currently completing an ID Card project, which includes a headshot that has been masked by a rectangle (the image has also been cropped to match the size of the rectangle - I shall explain later). However, when I export using SVG, I lose the image on re-opening the .svg file.

I cropped the headshot due to the fact that when only the mask is applied, and I've exported to SVG, the image has loses it's mask when opening the new file.

Is there anyone that can advice me on what I'm doing wrong? I've also attached an image of my SVG export settings.

Screenshot Export.jpg

16 minutes ago, Nathannnn said:

I've actually found a way around it now,

I'd like to see that too

Affinity doesn't understand clipPath so when you export a clipped image as svg then only the visible part of the image is encoded as base 64 data
Likewise, on import clipPath is discarded
View the attached file in a browser and you'll see the clipped image
Open it in Affinity and you'll see the original

HeadshotINK.svg

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

Thank you all for your tips and advice, the way around it that I've found is exporting the headshot to the mask as a PNG, then placing the new headshot image onto the rectangle, then export the whole project as an SVG.

Probably sounds overly complicated, but all the files are heading to a printers - so they want everything separated anyway, as well as files they can edit hence why I'm using SVG.

Thank you all :)

4 hours ago, Nathannnn said:

... that I've found is exporting the headshot to the mask as a PNG, then placing the new headshot image onto the rectangle, then export the whole project as an SVG.

Probably sounds overly complicated ...

Indeed, since SVG is usally also nothing print services like to deal with, as it's initially meant more for web based graphics. Next Affinity's SVG code generation is pretty limited and offers just the bare bone basics of the SVG spec here. - If you would have used PDF as an export format from start up, things might have been easier to work directly here!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2