You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Shift clicking brush strokes with a pen tablet is broken on Windows

Using the shift key to create straight brush strokes is broken on Windows. Here's a video demonstration showing how it behaves in Photoshop when compared to Affinity:

I also know that this is definitely broken on Windows because I have tried the Mac version in the past. These problems do not exist on Mac at all. Shift click brush strokes with a tablet work just like they do in Photoshop. Windows brush strokes need to remember the brush strength of the previous stroke, whether they are using side buttons to emulate mouse clicking or tapping with pen pressure.

There's definitely something wrong! In the hint line it says "Drag + Shift  to continue last stroke", actually if you use drag and shift it constrains the angle of the line. If you click then shift click it draws a straight line between the points, and shift clicking, after drawing a line, draws a new line, starting from the end of the old line to the new point (not actually continuing the same line). Another problem is that, sometimes, when drawing a line, instead of drawing the line correctly, it jumps, in a straight line, from one point to the other. All in all I think the paint engine, (or whatever it's called!) in Windows, needs a complete overhaul!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

I have been trying to replicate this on my XP-Pen Artist 12 Pro and the closest I can get is with certain artistic brushes with a pressure dynamic that starts the stroke faint as you draw this is because when you use the shift key and drag to extend the stoke you are not continuing the settings of the previous stroke but rather starting the stroke afresh unlike the method that Photoshop uses so depending on the brush being used this appears not to work correctly.

I will log this as an improvement request with our developers. 

@DWrightThanks for documenting the problem! Though, I have to point out that Affinity actually supports this type of brush stroke on Mac. I know this since I tried it out during the 90 day trial you had some time ago. If you use a regular round brush with Size Jitter and/or Accumulation Jitter activated with the Pressure setting you will get a typical Photoshop type round brush. On Mac you will get brush strokes that remember the pressure of the last stroke when you shift+L click, which is identical to how Photoshop behaves. It's the Windows version of Affinity that is the outlier here.

There are more Windows specific bugs that I know of as well that Mac are free from. I.e. Affinity on Mac remembers which layers were open in the Layers panel when closing and opening each program, but Windows does not. I actually made a thread where I documented some of the feature discrepancies I found during that testing period that I hope gets addressed, since they are all pretty annoying to deal with on a regular basis (only one of them has been fixed on Windows since then, which is the keybind shortcuts for changing brush size/hardness).