You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

b1282 Issue - Placed APhoto files of a PDF show wrong page in PDF export

The center 3 images of 3 different pages of the Clean Water publication were originally Placed as APhoto files. These files were created in APhoto to show a single page of a PDF publication originally produced and exported in APub. When the APhoto files were placed in this APub doc, they appeared fine on screen, showing each of the 3 different pages. However, when exported as a pdf they all 3 show the same page 1 of the original APub exported PDF instead of their actual unique pages. The attached doc is an exported pdf where those APhoto files were replaced with png exported versions of the files.

With a link, I can upload the original APub doc of this document with the linked APhoto files, as well as the original APhoto files that created the problem when placed into this Apub doc. 

Clean_Water_WW_22-Print.pdf

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

• 3 weeks later...

Anything on this problem/bug?

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

Thanks, @Jon P. Uploaded the APub file, the outputted incorrect pdf (where the 3 separate APhoto files each show the same page 1 image instead of the correct pages), and a packaged zip file with all the linked items including the APhoto files of the individual pages placed into the APub doc.

I never tried this in the retail version since I have been working in the 1.10.5.x betas for some time and had not updated my retail version since 1.10.1 due to some of the known/reported issues. 

Thanks.

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

• Staff

I exported that package in current retail and 1.10.1.1142 for PDF (export) and PDF (print) and the correct pages are shown on the afphoto files. Are you using any different export preset? It could be worth re-inserting the afphoto files to see if that helps (I had to update them via resource manager when loading the package)

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

@Jon P Interesting. I just reopened the APub file I sent to you in the beta, did a Replace in RMgr to reattach the APhoto files, then exported PDFs as both Print and as Export. In both cases, I get the wrong pages for pg4 and pg6 (see attached). Also tried it in my retail 1.10.1 and get the same (attached). Not sure what might not be set correctly so that you seem to get a good pdf export but I cannot.

Clean_Water_WW_22-Print_test-export.pdf Clean_Water_WW_22-Print_test-print.pdf Clean_Water_WW_22-Print_test-print-retail.pdf

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

@Jon P Spooky! I just tried deleting them from the doc, then placed them again. They show onscreen correctly (attached pic), and in the RM and layers. But when I export as a PDF, I still get only page 1 for all 3. Oddly, if I export as a jpg, the pages come out correctly. Has to be something related to pdf. The APhoto files were created using a pdf of the Clean Water publication that had been exported from APub. Seems that for some reason when I then place those APhoto files into APub, it is simply reverting to the first page of the original PDF and passing that through on pdf export, but doesn't do that when viewing onscreen or exporting as a jpg.

Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 9.36.48 AM.jpg

Clean_Water_WW_22-Print_test-new.jpg

Clean_Water_WW_22-Print_test-print-new.pdf

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

I also uploaded via the link the original pdf used to create the APhoto files (the placed content) and a screenshot of one of the APhoto files. Not sure if there are any incorrect settings that are causing an issue. Odd thing is that you don't have the problem when you export. Perhaps having the original CW pdf on the same drive and linked to the APhoto files is causing an issue?? Are the APhoto files placed into the APub doc somehow cross linking back to the original Clean Water pdf and when exported as a pdf pulling up the original pdf using only page 1??

That might be why you were able to export successfully since you didn't have the file that was linked in the APhoto files. In looking at your pdf, the 3 pages look low rez, so perhaps the export simply used the preview image for exporting as opposed to the actual hi-rez pdf (since you didn't have that original pdf). 

A bit confusing, but perhaps that is what is going on. Perhaps I can't create a APhoto file using a placed/linked PDF, then place/link that APhoto file into a new APub, then export as a pdf. Just guessing, but maybe when it exports as pdf, it is reaching all the way back down the links to the original Clean Water pdf, but ignoring the page designations. 

YES!!! I think that is the problem! I just redid the APhoto files and changed the placed pdf pages as embedded instead of linked, replaced them in the APub doc, then successfully exported (attached). 

Thus, don't know if this is a bug or just the way it works. But DON'T use a LINKED PDF in an APhoto file, then place that APhoto file into APub as a linked file, then export as a pdf!!! 

At least now I can go ahead with other docs using this workaround (have to embed in the APhoto files). 

Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 10.01.21 AM.jpg

Clean_Water_WW_22-Print_test-new-embedded.pdf

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

• Staff

That makes sense as to why I was struggling to reproduce it, I didn't realise the afphoto files were referencing a PDF I didn't have access to.

I've re-created a similar scenario however and although when I open the afphoto files in Publisher it's incorrectly stating that Spread 1 is in view when it isn't (which would lead me to think it could export incorrectly, like you are experiencing) but it actually still exports correctly. This is still a bug though so I'll get a couple of issues raised relating to this so the developers can look into it further.

If you can upload the PDF used in your afphoto files that could be helpful, but glad you've got a bit of a workaround for now

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Jon, I had uploaded the pdf used in the APhoto files to the dropbox link yesterday, but also have it attached here.

Clean Water 2022 - WW -8pg - final printer cmykx4.pdf

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.