You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Large files always crash (Affinity Designer)

Hello, I posted this before but after one response I followed up multiple times with no responses...

whenever I'm working with large files using affinity designer on iPad (iPad pro 12.9" 4th generation) it crashes and I lose my most recent sections work - very frustrating. I've closed out a bunch of files on the affinity designer home screen, hard reset my ipad. I'm attaching the crash report and the file. At this point my work flow is ruined so I can't use affinity would really appreciate some clarity. This happens with other large files, not just this one.  This is just the most recent.

Designer iPad-2022-01-21-101541.ips infinite_main51_1.afdesign

• Staff

Hi @bwackv,

I've been able to get this latest file to crash on one of the iPads we have here in the office.

I suspect this will be resources related and the iPad likely running out of memory.  I've not been able to get this file to crash my M1 iPad, which i suspect it due to how it handles memory.

I'll get this file logged with the Dev team, along with the crash reports from your iPad and the one i've taken from the iPad in the office :) 

@stokerg

Oh ok thanks, so the solution is to... work with less layers (the file isn't that large at <200mb)? My 2013 macbook can handle these files - so it seems a bit odd maybe something wrong with how affinity ipad handles large amounts of layers?

Would love some suggestions for what I should do so I can continue working with affinity!

• 1 month later...

@stokerg following up with this old post because I still need to make a decision. What did the dev team say?

Oh ok thanks, so the solution is to... work with less layers (the file isn't that large at <200mb)? My 2013 macbook can handle these files - so it seems a bit odd maybe something wrong with how affinity ipad handles large amounts of layers?

Would love some suggestions for what I should do so I can continue working with affinity!