You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo crashes when opening certain iPhone .HEIC files

When opening certain .HEIC files created with an iPhone, the Affinity Photo application just exits. I can reproduce this behavior on multiple Windows PCs with different GPUs using the latest release version (1.10.4.1198) as well as the latest consumer beta version (1.10.5.1282 RC). The files can be opened using the image viewer included in windows and in XnViewMP.

I already tried the following steps:

• Disabled graphics acceleration
  • Checked for software that is known to cause issues with Affinity Photo
  • Used Windows 8 compatibility mode
  • Using a clean sandbox with nothing but Windows 10 and Affinity Photo installed

I cannot upload a sample file to a public forum but I could provide a sample file to your technicians.

• Staff

Hi @Thomas E.,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

As mentioned above, I can confirm that our developers are aware of a bug that causes certain HEIC files to crash - however it would certainly help to have a sample file so I can provide this to the development log to help resolve the issue.

Can you please upload this sample(s) to the below link for me? 

https://www.dropbox.com/request/n1zS3XqMDd7f7tyEUctw

Once uploaded, please reply here to let me know. Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for your report @Jiminak and I'm sorry to hear the app is crashing for you also!

15 hours ago, Jiminak said:

If it helps, I could upload a bad one or one of each.

Absolutely, can you please upload these to the link already provided above, then reply here to let me know once this has been done? :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Many thanks for providing these for me!

I can confirm I've been able to replicate this issue here and I've logged it with our developers to be fixed ASAP :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

On 1/31/2022 at 12:28 PM, Dan C said:

As mentioned above, I can confirm that our developers are aware of a bug that causes certain HEIC files to crash - however it would certainly help to have a sample file so I can provide this to the development log to help resolve the issue.

I'm having a similar problem on my Mac. I'm scanning in some pictures and my Image Capture software saves the scans as .HEIC files. Affinity Photo is crashing when trying too open these. I've had to open them in Preview and change the format too JPEG or TIFF before AP will open them without crashing.

• Staff

Thanks for your additional report and I'm sorry to hear this! Could you please upload a copy of a few sample HEIC files that cause the app to crash when loading?

These can be uploaded to the below link -

https://www.dropbox.com/request/YniigJgX64XcJM6TaClo

Once uploaded, please reply here to let me know :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

No problem at all & many thanks for the file provided!

As above, I'm able to replicate this crashing here and I've included it with our development bug report to be fixed as soon as possible.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

Hi @gonasa111,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble! Can you please confirm for me, what camera/iPhone model do your .HEIC files originate from?

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Odd that AP is having this much trouble with .heic files, as it's been in play fully in the Applesphere since 2017. I was just looking & saw that Photoshop now fully supports it from what Adobe is saying...

• Staff

Hi @EJD1,

I can confirm that our HEIC support has improved in the latest few Affinity updates - however I do believe very specific HEIC files are still causing crashing for some users, but this appears to be a limited number.

Can you please confirm for me, are you experiencing crashing on load with a HEIC file currently? Are you able to provide a sample of this file here for me? :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @dvx,

As can be seen from the following list, the Fuji X-H2S is not a currently supported RAW model in Affinity, my apologies - 

We hope to add support for this camera in a future update, though I'm unable to provide an ETA for this, at this time.

I hope this clears things up!

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Hi @YYZ342,

The Affinity applications use LibRAW for RAW camera support, currently their latest stable release unfortunately does not include these cameras:

https://www.libraw.org/supported-cameras-libraw-202110

Once LibRAW add support for these models in a stable release, our developers can work to implement support within Affinity Photo.

Unfortunately as we're dependant on LibRAW for support, we're unable to provide a timescale for this - however I can see that one of LibRAWs current beta release has support for the X-H2S, so hopefully we'll be able to add this support in Affinity shortly.

I hope this clears things up!

Please note -

Many thanks!