ronnyb

[By Design] Switch window command doesn't work

I created a New View of my currently open document, and AD creates a second tabbed window in my workspace. However, when I try to invoke the standard Mac OS X Command - tilde ( ` ) keyboard equivalent to switch windows, AD doesn't respond...

2017 15" MacBook Pro 14,3 w/ Intel 4 Core i7 @ 2.8 GHz, 16 GB RAM, AMD 455 @ 2 GB, 512 GB SSD, macOS High Sierra

2018 11" iPad Pro 256 GB, latest iPadOS public beta

Wonderful! Thanks Andy, it's certainly a default OS X behavior; give it a try in other apps with multiple windows open and see for yourself!

2017 15" MacBook Pro 14,3 w/ Intel 4 Core i7 @ 2.8 GHz, 16 GB RAM, AMD 455 @ 2 GB, 512 GB SSD, macOS High Sierra

In Non-Separated mode - they aren't windows. It's actually multiple views inside a single window. Which is why Cmd+` doesn't work but Control-Tab does.

In Separated mode, each views are separated into their own windows - and you will find that Cmd+` work. However you can dock any document inside existing windows to show the tabs.

The shortcut is actually handled by the system OS, so we don't have that much control over it. It doesn't mean we can't do something though.

Oh very interesting... However, I think it's confusing from the end-user perspective. A different "View" implies that its the same document; a different document should be in a different "Window" or "Tab," and behave accordingly, regardless of whether the UI is in Docked or Separated mode. However, when I check in Safari, the behavior is consistent with what you describe, where Tabs are switched via Control + Tab, not Command + Tilde. So perhaps its just an inconsistent window behavior coming from Adobe... 

Yes, I know what you mean. :)

This peculiarity shows up in Designer because we allow the user to decide which of the UI mode they want - either the single window view (ala Safari, Chrome, XCode), or the traditional separated window mode (such as Gimp). It is this flexibility that introduces different behaviours between them. I would expect that a user would stick to one mode and would hardly ever change to the other.

On a side note, in separated mode, you can actually merge 'windows' together to get the tabs. In this case Control+Tab will switch between documents which only exist in the tab, whilst Command+~ will still switch between documents in different windows. At some point, I should probably do a quick tutorial to show how all this works.

Yes it makes sense what you are saying... What would also be really cool is if you could do side-by-side views of the same document in the same window, almost like the Split view, but with the ability to view the document at different zoom levels and locations... so I can see the local detail in the larger context of the entire design...

Great job on the app, I love it more and more everyday!