You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The chain-link fence is reflecting about every hue in the area, especially the water. So what I found to be about the easiest way, is to replace that area. 

• Rectangular Selection of that area.
  • Located and downloaded a ocean image from stock image site.
  • Masked the ocean image into the selection.
  • Tweaked the image to fit, brightness, contrast, HSL, curves, whatever it takes.
  • Cloned out the fence shadow on the ground.

fence-removed.jpg

Edited by Ron P.
replaced screenshot with better one

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Really  nice shot.

i would try to preserve as much as possible from the image. A dust & scratches filter with some tweaking seems appropriate 

• 5-8px radius
  • tolerance 0
  • blend mode luminosity preserves the colors
  • blend range to preserve darker colors
  • rectangular shape to mask to specific area 
  • the group is redundant, I tried additional adjustments, and use only one clipping mask on group level.

180859B0-27C8-4AC8-B206-A4D1F9A60C63.png

C1148EC6-FB94-4455-8702-9C931E81AF59.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

If you want to keep the original sea, the FFT filter has a distinct pattern you can work with.

E.g., Make a selection of the sea and then File > New from Clipboard then apply the FTT filter and copy it back to the original document

Then a little touch-up on areas missed by the FTT filter (if needed)

The sky and beach areas can just be cloned

fft2.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

4 hours ago, ianrb said:

I think Ron P has the better answer 

Now I feel miserable 😩 

Any reason to give such a comment? It really depends on the intentions of the OP (which you don’t know. Does he intend to preserve as much from the source, or tries to get a cleaner but somehow artificial result), and his level of experience what works best for him (which you don’t know, too). So nothing much to learn from your comment, except your personal preference (and we don’t know if they have anything technicality to do with the given question and posted possible solutions).

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

10 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

Now I feel miserable 😩 

Don't be, we all do some tests while answering some questions, and some people can give better answers sometimes, that's how we learn too :)

For this example, I don't think the viewer will really check or really look at the sea, but it should seems realistic, so using another image is the best way. (But with less waves in my opinion.)

[edit] And I'll add, the blury result with the filters are bad, the picture is about a place to dream, so a blurry sea isn't required, the small part should be perfect. [/edit]

Edited by Wosven
+ last comment

Well, I disagree based on my personal preferences.

First, the focus is in the room, not on infinity, so the sea is out of focus and blurry (intentionally from my view). Making a sea swap with less blurry in-focus sea makes the result look artificial, weakening its creative expression.

next, the uploaded jpeg (a fine picture!) shows quite strong compression / blockiness artifacts when pixel peeping single RGB channels the small area showing the sea. If the OP has the source image in RAW format or higher quality JPEG, the result could look drastically better.

So all ratings what is better (without taking into account the OP Intension and if he has HQ sources available) won’t help much, and could easily misinterpreted as personal valuation of the poster.

I’m not feeling 😩 at all, but these seemingly innocent posts could easily start an emotional heated discussion deviating from the actual topic. My post tried to make all aware of this risk.

The perfect solution would have been to take a picture of the beach and the sea in front of the fence, it's faster than trying to find a suitable replacement image... Getting rid of wired mesh is always a pain if you don't have a really high resolution image.

The blurred sea and the windows need a lot of work to look realistic in the end, not perturbing the overall image, since the focus shouldn't be on them (but the quality difference make them more important than needed).

The OP asked for suggestions on removing the fence. Suggestions were made, all plausible techniques. Ianarb just posted his opinion, that's it. NotMyFault, if that offends you that it was not your example, I just don't know what to say about that. Wait, yes I do know what to say.... You're response seems that I intruded somehow on your territory. How dare anyone suggest any example but yours is any good. That's the impression your response gave me.

I'm not an expert, pro, or whatever. Sometimes I get lucky and can provide something that a user might use. I didn't provide it for your approval or disapproval!!

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

18 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

The OP asked for suggestions on removing the fence. Suggestions were made, all plausible techniques. Ianarb just posted his opinion, that's it. NotMyFault, if that offends you that it was not your example, I just don't know what to say about that. Wait, yes I do know what to say.... You're response seems that I intruded somehow on your territory. How dare anyone suggest any example but yours is any good. That's the impression your response gave me.

I'm not an expert, pro, or whatever. Sometimes I get lucky and can provide something that a user might use. I didn't provide it for your approval or disapproval!!

Ron, absolutely no problem. You solution is totally fine, as all others e.g. like FFT denotes or frequency frequency separation. I do not intend to value any of the solutions as better or weaker.

And that is exactly my point: if someone not involved into the factual discussion at all (neither OP nor giving any own solution proposal ) gives only a judgment, without explaining how he came to this conclusion, this could cause irritation.

All solutions presented are valuable. The OP could choose what works best. And it depends on his personal preferences and artistic intentions.

23 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

(you could barely see that fence before!! 😇)

Needs more cowbell too.

Actually the perspective looks off, or just weird.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

4 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Actually the perspective looks off, or just weird.

HAHA 🤣! It's called intrigue!!
The Brady Bunch's house was backwards. Seinfeld's apartment doesn't make sense from the hallway. It's how they draw you in! 
The world's an imperfect place, screws fall out all the time.

But seriously. If you're referring specifically to the shadow on the ground outside (btw, there's a whole lotta things wrong.... it was thrown together in under 5 minutes). I think that it's actually an optical illusion. The shadow does have (a quick) perspective on it that's pretty close to correct, but at that angle the diagonals of the actual fence become what look like "verticals" on the ground. It does look weird. INTRIGUE!

8 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

I think that it's actually an optical illusion.

I am leaning that way too, I see a 'problem' with the coil of wire on the top. 

If you have ever seen the movie "Fargo" there is a scene with a couple of lines that apply to this:

"Funny looking how?"

"I don't know. Just... funny looking."

They were talking about the character played by Steve Buscemi.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

@mberger. Welcome to the Forums on a cold winter Sunday with loads of people (definitely including yours truly) with not much else to do!!  😷🤪🤔🥶😊

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

8 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

@mberger. Welcome to the Forums on a cold winter Sunday with loads of people (definitely including yours truly) with not much else to do!!  😷🤪🤔🥶😊

Yes, and I should have said it before... @mberger, very cool shot!! Annnd, sorry, for messing with it.

(personally I've got quite too much to do 😳, so, thanks for the diversion. Back to work.)

40 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

I vote for water replacement

Well, if you insist.

shack2.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I am enjoying how much fun everyone is having. Why not one with Nessie swimming by?  This is what I ended up with. I used a stock photo then adjusted the hue/saturation. Applied a Gaussian blur with a gradient leading out to the horizon. Added a pixel layer and overlaid white to blend in with the horizon. What do you think?

_MG_8763dmzen.jpg