You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

subtract - affinity designer

Hi,

Sorry if this so going to be stupid question. Does anyone know a way to subtract shapes in affinity designer. I can subtract square, but I can't subtract custom shape (blue - red). I've also attached the "afdesign" file just in case anyone wants proof.

FYI: The custom shape is made from combining a circle with a rounded rectangle

Thanks

image.thumb.png.d466b4a6a40a50333106641e3ecce364.png

subtract.afdesign

Either select Layer > Fill Mode > Alternate, or reverse the direction of either of the paths in the middle object (when the Node tool is active, you can check "Show Orientation" and zoom close to see the small vectors showing the orientation of the curves; they need to be opposite/varying to have the same effect as Alternate Fill mode, when performing Boolean operations).

Select the red shape, and click the Reverse curve button. But the two problematic nodes will remain.

You can also use a non-destructive Subtract operation by holding Alt before pressing the Subtract button.

subtract.png.5e3c94d684ce1a6434e76c5e4d55030f.png

You're welcome. I think that most vector graphics apps do not require the user to manually check these kinds of things in order to have Boolean operations like subtract work as expected, but rather switch the fill rule or reverse the curve directions automatically in context of the operation. I have noticed that exchange of (at least EPS format) data from Inkscape can leave curves in "Winding" mode (not meaning that they were in this mode originally).