You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The real-time embedded document editing is wonderful. However, without the perspective warp functionality, it really is limited.

The warp feature was on the roadmap list over a year ago, when is this going to be implemented. So far I am loving this tool and this is the first real negative I've found. Well, maybe the eye-dropper tool, that might need some UX help.

Thanks

• Staff

Hi mike.creativedash,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The Warp/Perspective distortion tools are still on the roadmap and will be added later. There will be an update in a couple days to the Mac App Store that includes a considerable number of features listed there (already implemented in the Betas): custom shortcuts, Pantones support, artboards etc. There wasn't time to implement the distortion tools yet, but we will get there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Staff

Hi Tekl,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This is already present in the Mac version. What you are seeing is the Live Perspective Filter - available in Affinity Photo - applied to an embedded document. When you edit the embedded document - the billboard design in this case -, the changes are applied in real time to the original file where the document was embedded with the Live Perspective filter applied (to "distort" it).

Affinity lets you use features from both applications (Designer and Photo) in the same file and edit them no matter the application you are using currently. This means at some point you have to move the file to Affinity Photo to add the Live Perspective Filter (which is not available in Designer), then move the file again to Designer and edit the Filter there as if you where in Photo. To move a file from one app to the other go to menu File ▸ Edit in Designer/Photo... depending on the app you are currently.

Both platforms have the same functionality/features (apart from a few OS based differences like shortcuts etc).

So it is correct to say that this is not available in Affinity Designer at all, only available if both apps are installed? If so, the promo video seems a bit deceptive.

Something else seems odd about it. Just before the embedded poster document is shown as being edited, at about the 0:57 mark it looks like the building scene is being rotated in 3D, as if this was a true 3D model, not a 'flat' image. How was this done?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thank you for the explanation. I am all too aware that neither Designer nor Photo have any true 3D modeling capabilities & that Designer does not (yet) have a perspective tool. The problem is this is a promo video for the Windows version of Designer, so as it is it implies Designer does have all the capabilities shown.

This is a source of a lot of confusion, if not at least a little deceptive. Perhaps it would be a good idea to mention that the promo shows how Designer can be used along with other apps in various workflows, as well demonstrating its built-in features? This could be done in the video itself or as a comment.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks for clarification. I wonder, why there is an interface for the filter inside Designer? Then you simply could add a menu command to add this filter without switching apps. I understand that you don't want all features in all apps, but I think perspective transformations are useful for vector graphics as well. I missed this in Illustrator for years.

• Staff

R C-R,

Affinity Designer is part of a suite of applications where it´s tightly integrated. The ability to move a project from one app to another, to open native files no matter the application used to create them or to edit/modify elements/functionality created in one of the other apps without having to open/move the project to that app to make the required modifications, are all features/benefits of the program. I don't see why this can't be showcased on a promo video. The billboard section simply shows part of this functionality. The Live Perspective Filter itself is not being manipulated/edited there (which is also possible).

@Tekl,

Affinity Designer will have its own set of (vector based) distortion tools (check Designer's roadmap). The Live Perspective Filter in Affinity Photo is raster based, however you can still control/edit it inside Designer if needed which is an advantage you don't have in other apps.

R C-R,

Affinity Designer is part of a suite of applications where it´s tightly integrated. The ability to move a project from one app to another, to open native files no matter the application used to create them or to edit/modify elements/functionality created in one of the other apps without having to open/move the project to that app to make the required modifications, are all features/benefits of the program. I don't see why this can't be showcased on a promo video.

My issue is not that this functionality is showcased -- I think it is one of the better ideas that sets Affinity apart from its competitors --  it is that it is not made clear that it is a functionality of the suite, not of the app the promo is ostensibly showcasing.

Affinity Photo 

• 1 month later...

I've bought AP only to "paste " the (pixel based) filter to AD, although it cost is a bit over my previsions :)

The real perspective filter (vector transform) will be available in the next release only, not free and not tomorrow, this is clear.

Now we can use only isometric view, see my example, possibly deformed with the perspective filter, if you want :)

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/32968-ad-only-isometric-mock-up-with-symbols/&p=160288